randawg

In the market for a new cooker

Now I have another question.... which one to pick? How did people decide which model to buy? What factors should I take into account in choosing between the different models?

Regarding the inventory list, i read the info on the R1 and R2 vs the v3, but I still need help clarifying the differences. If comparing say a R2 Supreme Plus versus a V3 of the same model, is there a significant difference in price and features in your opinion?

Also, my wife wanted to know if most people bought their KK without actually seeing one in person beforehand? And I quote, "You'd never buy a car by just looking at the pictures would you?" I guess she has a point. I've only seen the BGE in person, never cooked on one or any other ceramic cooker. Anyone have the same situation?

Thanks!

My history was very similar to what you're going through. I started out looking at BGEs, but was worried that even the extra large wouldn't let me cook enough for the large gatherings that occur relatively often.

Internet searching on ceramic cooking led me in a variety of directions until I came across this forum - where the tone was completely different from all the others.

The deciding factor for me was the general approbation Dennis received for his total committment to customer satisfaction and constant improvement of his designs.

When I bought mine, I had never seen one in person or cooked on one, but had absorbed a lot of experience of the people on this forum and had developed a sense of trust, which has been completely borne out in my experience.

Go for it! You won't ever regret the decision.

Cheers,

Mike

Also, my wife wanted to know if most people bought their KK without actually seeing one in person beforehand? And I quote, "You'd never buy a car by just looking at the pictures would you?" I guess she has a point. I've only seen the BGE in person, never cooked on one or any other ceramic cooker. Anyone have the same situation?

I understand this dilemma....It took a year to win me over to the point where I was willing to open my checkbook. I had been burned before my buying another brand of tiled cooker, and was a bit gun shy because of it.

For me, the leap of faith came with the realization that if I was not happy with the cooker, Dennis would make it right. Ask him for yourself, but if you had an acute case of buyers remorse when your K arrived, I doubt you would be stuck with the unit.

I did go visit another owner in my local area to see one first hand. Have you taken a look at the member list to see if there are any close to you? Otherwise, post a more specific location and see if anyone responds with an offer for a personal showing.

Randawg....be sure to check out the section from the index that people post their location and usually a picture> Hopefully there is one not too far. LeadDog let me view his.

I also had the competitors' model and seeing how many others who had owned that one and had bought one of these and found them far superior was a great selling point for me.

Your other criteria is how much you want to spend, frequency of use, and type of use. I got the ultimate because I didn't want to be regretting something I missed later. Perhaps someone who has ordered other packages will give you their opinions.

I researched for nearly a year before choosing my Kooker,Dark Terra Blue w/ Dark charcoal grout. A good friend across town sells the Green Egg, nearly splurged, did more research and was a cat's whisker away from doing a deal with Richard Johnson. Thanks to his customer service which is notorious I stumbled upon this Site and forum. Thanks to Pork Chop and his well documented ordeal I e-mailed Dennis and before long had two delivered to me,one of which went to a client(his holiday party last nite may have four or more potential buyers in the wings) The most difficult part was convincing the Mrs. to place one of these things on our deck for all to see, as soon as they were delivered,she was blown away by it''s exquisite beauty. The price tag was a sticking point, but as others have pointed out it's not much more than the Egg when you factor in that this is a complete package. If I had a choice I would have ordered the Gen II,if only for the gas starter/burner. I have in a short amount of time cooked low and slow as well as grilling at nearly 700 degrees. I can say that while the low and low feature was everything that I had expected, the very high temp feature blows away the searing capability of my Wolf range infrared, as well as my gas grill infrared searing unit. As an added benefit the steaks I usually bring home( I own a gourmet meat market) are usually the end cuts that I won't sell to my clientele due to the amount of sinew that is usually present at this end. Well sir, the sinew turns to a very tender almost gel like consistency, and the moistness is "locked in" as well as a unique smokiness that I can't even duplicate on my Weber kettle. In short this is a great unit, free shipping, and something you will have to direct in your will to your surviving offspring! Good luck in your search,and know that you are welcome here no matter what you chose. Yours in Grilling, Dave Zier

I'm another in the camp of having never seen one, or anything like it, other than a BGE in a store before the order. I've been a happy camper for over 1 year now and even the wife is a fan! Some of the best money I've ever spent!! :D

With an ice storm warning and a potential of 1" of ice on the way for late today, it may become our only cooking source for a few days.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I appreciate everyone's frankness and experience. I'm still in my "research mode" so we'll see what happens in the coming days. Since this would seemingly be the most expensive (and hopefully the best) BBQ purchase I have to make, I need to be absolutely sure about it. I'm still looking at other ceramics, but so far I've seen the least complaints about this one and an extraordinary amount of positive feedback, although there is a lot of positive feedback about the others too at a significantly lower price. As questions come up, I'll be picking your brains more :)

Randy