Saucier

I am feeling sheepish about this

Well, I was fixin to feel sheepish about posting this, but what the heck.

I was walking through Costco, and lo and behold this cute little 4.75 lb lamb roast spoke to me, it was most lonely. So I took it home.

It was a boneless leg of lamb to be exact. It was encased in their standard elastic string net to hold it all together.

I have been the victim of this crap before. I work so hard for nice bark, and when it comes cutting time and you have to cut this stuff off, you lose half your bark for one thing, and as you cut the springy string, if flips bits o' bark and grease all over.

I decided to cut it off, and just retie it manual style.

50741084pg4.jpg

By Jello_Jeep

As I opened it up, it came to me that this was a good thing, as I now had that much more surface to rub down! First I cut a head of garlic into slivers and jammed them into the meat.

26122246ue9.jpg

By Jello_Jeep

We love garlic! :smt008

It seemed like a good idea to then rub the inside with some olive oil, sea salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and other good things like that!!

67284390ye8.jpg

By Jello_Jeep

After all that, I rolled it back up and tied it by hand, using much less string than the factory installed net, rubbed the outside with some kitchen magic, and then another round of spices just like inside! (no more garlic though).

63666745jj4.jpg

By Jello_Jeep

I then wrapped it in swaddling clothes, and layed it on a bed of Royal Oak & cherry wood, idled up to 210, and that is all of the story I can tell so far. At the moment the internal temp is 90 after about 1.5 hours...

60347770xu7.jpg

By Jello_Jeep

I cant wait! :wav:

I think the advantage is that it gives it more time to soak up smoke, @ 350 it would have taken an hour, I want more cherry smoke in my roast!.. I am not in line with the "I didn't want it to taste too smokey" clan :)

This is the first time for me with lamb in the KK though, so I will post results!

I do that sort of thing' date=' but at 325-350. I don't think there is any advantage to doing leg of lamb low and slow. It is almost impossible to dry it out. Looks good![/quote']

what was needed on this photo essay is pics of a nice juicy slice! i am a big fan of the lamb. i can picture it being served with some good, thin pita bread, some zatziki, tomatoes, cuke, and parsley!

one of the first cooks i ever did on a ceramic was lamb chops! little tiny t-bones... they melted in your mouth like butter! i actually served them as horse-doovers, as they were pretty much 2 bites...

so, you've proved that this actually happened saucier, but you haven't proven that the roast was ever SLICED! :P

Or hummus, or even better, home made baba ganouj !

I can send you some dental floss to prove it was sliced :):smt044

what was needed on this photo essay is pics of a nice juicy slice! i am a big fan of the lamb. i can picture it being served with some good, thin pita bread, some zatziki, tomatoes, cuke, and parsley!

one of the first cooks i ever did on a ceramic was lamb chops! little tiny t-bones... they melted in your mouth like butter! i actually served them as horse-doovers, as they were pretty much 2 bites...

so, you've proved that this actually happened saucier, but you haven't proven that the roast was ever SLICED! :P