Tucker

Steak Night

We did steak Sunday night while watchin the Steelers game.

Had Publix butcher cut 1.5" ribeyes, we dry aged them in the frig for 5 days, then marinated them in veryterryaki sauce for 2hrs.

Got Marvin up to 750+ degrees with the sear rack in place on top of the firebox.

~30seconds each side, then moved the steaks to the upper rack and closed him up, dropped temp to 450, left them for ~5min and pulled them off, let them rest while the asparagus was grilled (~7min)

My apologies for no plate shots, primal instincts took over and the devouring commenced when the veggies were ready, everyone else was focused on the game.

They came out med-rare, very tasty, a little more char than I thought so nest time the sear rack will not sit on the firebox.

Tucker-

I over seared my last steaks, too. The issue isnt the sear grill being on the firebox, but the open lid and blast furnace temps. I have found that settling the grill at about 500 dome, and letting it heat soak for a few minutes is just about right.

Keep the sear grill on the basket, put your meat on there for 60-90 seconds a side, without adjusting airflow after stabilizing the temp. then move it to the main grill to dwell until desired doneness. Open the lid only as long as you need to move or flip the meat.

The benefit to placing the sear grill on the basket is to get closer to the fire, and therefore not need to consume as much charcoal to achieve high temps to sear your steaks.