DavidS

Going on later tonight

Karma!!!

Hehe, I make fun of your weather and karma smacks back. Rains all evening and today highs in the mid 40s.

Anyway, I have a nice pork shoulder on the rotis today. Cooking it direct, but at lower temps since the meat gets so close to the charcoal with the rotis and there is no good place to put the Guru pit probe.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1475mediumrx3.jpg

dscn1472mediumdo0.jpg

This is actually the first time on the rotis with a pork shoulder or boston butt. Did try ribs on the rotis once and they were great. One of the reasons I have been hesitant about doing the long cook on the rotis was not being able to use a Guru meat probe and pit probe is not optimally placed. Yes, yes could do it the old fashion way......pffftt...no thanks.

Must say, so far I am well pleased with the results. The smells emanating from my backyard reminds me of pit cooking growing up. I know a lot of people seem down on fat dripping into the fire, but I love it! May have found my new standard for BBQ. More results later.

-=Jasen=-

This pic is 5 hours into the cook. Guru pit temp is inserted just through the polder hole a couple inches (running at 225). Dome temp is running at 250.

dscn1478mediumcz1.jpg

Beautiful, Trish!

My days work was three racks (no pictures, so I'm talking theoretically, I know), one rubbed with Dizzy Dust, one with Swamp Venom, and one with DJ's Cajun Blackening find.

Everybody agreed that SV and CB were hotter than DD, but it was interesting that there was no consenus which of the two was spicier, though they were clearly different. One came on fast and one slow. All were very tasty, though, and now there's only a pile of bones for Rufus the cat to work over.

Sanny...I hope you have a hot tub or jacuzzi tub to soften the aching body.

Alas, just a deep tub. Not so achy from the gardening as from the massage the day before. My neck and shoulders have been locked in mortal combat for weeks, and the hour of rubbing them out HURT! Ow.

If only I had someone cooking me something delicious on a K... Sigh. I micropoached a piece of fish. That'll have to do.

I took my Kiwi vines out last Winter for the same reason - lotsa pruning required! They bore heavily' date=' but we don't get enough heat for them to get really flavorful. Table grapes are doing pretty well in their place.[/quote']

It took about 5 years for them to start bearing fruit. When they finally did, there were always lots in summer, but by the time the fruit was ripe (Oct or so) there wasn't much left for me. Critters, I think. Anyway, the vines were vigorous! They'd gone up the black cherry tree in the neighbor's yard! Guess they grabbed a low hanging branch, and up they went! Snapped part of my fence, too. :mad:

Time for them to go.