ThreeDJ16

Another Pork Shoulder!

I notice you leave the outer skin intact. I have been trimming it off' date=' but wondering whether I should leave it on. Is there a right and wrong way for this?[/quote']

I always leave the skin on and place it down towards heat source. Gives protection from the heat source, especially since I am not using a heat deflector. However, the skin is scored so the rub I applied yesterday could penetrate.

-=Jasen=-

I think 225 was were it stayed, but was not completely happy with results (dryer than desired). Guess for direct cooks, the temps will have to be even lower. At 225, it was finished in 11 hours direct. Normally, that same size shoulder takes 18 or more hours indirect. I am experimenting with building a heat diffuser to give me the direct cook tastes and textures I want. Nothing wrong with indirect and the heat deflector, it is just another option desired. When finished, I will posts the results and methods used for those interested. Been working a lot lately and have not had time to experiment.

-=Jasen=-