DennisLinkletter

Chicken Parts & Stinky Beans for the Kids..

Saisuda bought two chickens and cut them up to cook and then did not have the energy so I brined them in Dr Pepper, dried chiles and kosher salt for 2.5 hours. Then rinsed, dried and slathered them in a lil sesame oil and litely coated them with rub. Placed them on the grill in the kitchen to ensure even spacing then put them on at 285º with some apple for smoke for about 2 hours and then pushed it to 350º and slathered them with a little Dr Pepper and Ketchup to give them some color.. pulled them off at 155º-160º. The smallest pieces of breast without skin were not moist but not dry either. The thighs (my favorite) were great. I used SS turkey pins to hold the skin down and tight on the thighs and legs.

The Indo petai beans or sataw beans in Thailand were tossed in pod and all. First time for this on my Komodo. It was pretty cool that some of them blew up like a balloon and were then really easy to open. They actually had some smokey tones to them and were extra good. They are about the size of US quarters and have a strong smell. I read them explained as being a bit like garlic with a hint of brussels sprouts and pumpkin seeds.

We (two adults, a 10 and 2year old) ate all but two pieces.. I love apple smoke with my chicken.

KKchickParts1.jpg

KKchickParts2.jpg

KKchickParts3.jpg

KKchickParts4.jpg

KKchickParts5.jpg

KKchickParts6.jpg

Re: Chicken Parts & Stinky Beans for the Kids..

The Indo pete beans or Sataw beans in Thailand were tossed in pod and all. First time for this on my Komodo. It was pretty cool that some of them blew up like a balloon and were then really easy to open. They actually had some smokey tones to them and were extra good. They are about the size of US quarters and have a strong smell. I read them explained as being a bit like garlic with a hint of brussels sprouts and pumpkin seeds.

<<<>>>

I see those bean/peas in our local ethnic markets and can never get anyone to tell me what to do with them... Now I have a starter lesson... What do you do with them once you shell them?

Salt them?

Are they soft like boiled peanuts?

Any other things to "do" with them but crack them open and eat-em out of hand or on your plate?

Thanks in advance...

I did a little Googleling-----

Petai beans or seeds look like broad beans. Petai has earned its nickname 'stink bean' because its strong smell is very pervasive. Like mature broad beans, they may have to be peeled before cooking. It lingers in the mouth and body. Like asparagus, it contains certain amino acids that give a strong smell to ones urine, an effect that can be noticed up to two days after consumption. Like other beans, their complex carbohydrates can also cause strong-smelling flatulence.

Oh great... being a Hungarian and eating nearly any dern thing isn't enough... LOL My wife will LOVE these...

. :roll:

Re: Chicken Parts & Stinky Beans for the Kids..

I see those bean/peas in our local ethnic markets and can never get anyone to tell me what to do with them... Now I have a starter lesson... What do you do with them once you shell them?

Salt them?

Are they soft like boiled peanuts?

Any other things to "do" with them but crack them open and eat-em out of hand or on your plate?

Thanks in advance...

They are usally opened first their grey skin peeled to reveal the bright green bean. They are then boiled and then fried and eaten as a side dish with spicy sambal and rice.

I really like them in my curried dishes.. Especially curried beef brain! I ate it and liked it before I knew what it was.. Same with tongue.

The though of what they are is still somewhat unsettling but they taste great so what's one to do?

:eek::eek: