Bobkat

Burnin' burnin' hunk-o-cow

Got a 23lb chuck roll that's been on since yesterday before noon. Sitting at 173, 173 & 178 internal (got three probes in ol' Bessy). Planning on the foil towels and cooler long rest period, then pull. You guys suggest 185 or 195ish as the 'finish line'?

btw - gotta go run out and add some fuel, I'm loosing my fire and that beast has been sitting on these temps ALL afternoon, she may go into the evening at this pace!

TKS!

Re: Burnin' burnin' hunk-o-cow

Got a 23lb chuck roll that's been on since yesterday before noon. Sitting at 173, 173 & 178 internal (got three probes in ol' Bessy). Planning on the foil towels and cooler long rest period, then pull. You guys suggest 185 or 195ish as the 'finish line'?

btw - gotta go run out and add some fuel, I'm loosing my fire and that beast has been sitting on these temps ALL afternoon, she may go into the evening at this pace! TKS!

Strange as it may seem.. I have no idea what internal temp you would cook that to? I could go look it up, but I so rarely do a roast like that I guess I just forgot? I almost always cook that roast in a wet environment, for a long time..... I would bet you could get away with 140º if you foil, towel and rest for a long while, but I might be wrong.. ?

Re: Burnin' burnin' hunk-o-cow

btw - gotta go run out and add some fuel, I'm loosing my fire and that beast has been sitting on these temps ALL afternoon, she may go into the evening at this pace!

TKS!

With a chunk of meat that large you need to plan ahead and really fill your bowl with large, then medium, then small, then smallest... that will give you 25-30 hours.

I'd use an instant read thermometer and take a couple of readings as you might have different temps in different areas of that beast but I'd pull as you come up on 190º You can also almost chock off the burn at 186-188º this will prevent you overshooting your target temp.

Please next time you cook a 23lb monster PLEASE take photos!

I'd love to see how big it is in your KOmodo.

:eek::eek::eek: