DMAX

St. Patty's Day Corned Beef?

Re: St. Patty's Day Corned Beef?

Does any one have a recipe and cooking directions for a homemade low and slow corned beef?

DMAX

If you smoke corned beef on the KK, I think it is pretty much pastrami....right? So you may want to look for that recipe too. Or was you looking for something like corned beef and cabbage?

FYI, I moved this post since it was a request and not a recipe.

-=Jasen=-

I had this one, but I wasnt feeling the three week brine, and I also wanted to attain the pink coloring from smoke instead of saltpeter. I thought an all applewood smoke would be a good compliment. Thoughts?

4 quarts water

1 cup kosher salt

12 cloves garlic, crushed

3 tablespoons pickling spices

8 bay leaves

1 teaspoon saltpeter (optional)

Bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the salt and saltpeter (optional). Stir until the salt is completely disolved. Allow to cool. Stir in the garlic, pickling spices and bay leaves. The brine is now ready for use. For brining, always use a non-metal, air tight container.

Saltpeter, or potassium nitrate is a food preservative. It will give the meat a pink coloring and reduce the chances of spoilage. If you are careful with your food handling and don't need the pink coloring you do not need to add the saltpeter.

From this point you need to corn the beef. This is done in several different ways. The easiest and safest in my opinion is to use a brine. The salt-water brine preserves the meat and gives it the texture that we would call corned beef. The basic brine consists of water, enough salt to float an egg and seasonings like black pepper, coriander, juniper berries, garlic, etc. People who make their own pastrami usually end up with a recipe unique to them. The beef brisket should remain in the brine stored in a cold, dark place for anywhere from seven days to three weeks. You do need to regularly check on the meat and turn it to prevent spoilage.

DMAX

The corned beef I do is in a covered pot with liquid. I guess it could be done in the cooker, rather than in the oven or slow cooker.

I get the grey one from Whole Foods (or similar), rather than the one with the nitrates or sulfites or somesuch. One of those makes me wheeze. Must be sulfites.

Anyway, aren't corned beeves usually cooked "wet"?

The corned beef I do is in a covered pot with liquid. I guess it could be done in the cooker, rather than in the oven or slow cooker.

I get the grey one from Whole Foods (or similar), rather than the one with the nitrates or sulfites or somesuch. One of those makes me wheeze. Must be sulfites.

Anyway, aren't corned beeves usually cooked "wet"?

Well thats what I'm getting at...I dont want to. The brining has to take place, but I want to do the low and slow in the KK, rather than in a dutch oven. I want to smoke the brisket indirect and have a pot of cabbage on there for the last hour or two. I just didnt want to try it if someone else here has already done so with poor results!

DMAX

I haven't smoked a corned beef brisket in the KK, but I have tried it in my smokehouse,with mixed results. As Deej said-pretty much pastrami and REALLY salty. You may want to use sodium nitrite instead of saltpeter(your significant other may appreciate that also). You may want to try slow cooking it in a dutch oven to replicate your oven or stove top. I did this with a pot roast awhile back(no pics-so theoretical). took longer than I thought it would,I had the temp too low(230-270) should have had it at 350.

With your homemade brine you should achieve good results' date=' the pink coloring you are looking for won't happen with smoke alone. you will get a smoke ring like you did with your last brisket, but you need the nitrite or nitrates to achieve the pink. Good luck.[/quote']

Got it. Thanks!

DMAX

I still have not figured out the digital image thing despite of o forum offer to post an avatar. I have a number of images of our KK working in the snow. I slow cooked and then added smoke to a Brisket (cured as told in the old stand-by "Joy of Cooking" Low and slow for almost all pork, etc. Of Course a hot sear just before a thick steak is served is always good; hot, hot, hot for thick cut Tuna is the way to go. Thanks Dennis for such a GREAT and VERSATILE cooker. In the cold and snow with a KK is the way to go ( I am sure it will also work in the warm of the summer also.)

I still have not figured out the digital image thing despite of o forum offer to post an avatar. I have a number of images of our KK working in the snow. I slow cooked and then added smoke to a Brisket (cured as told in the old stand-by "Joy of Cooking" Low and slow for almost all pork' date=' etc. Of Course a hot sear just before a thick steak is served is always good; hot, hot, hot for thick cut Tuna is the way to go. Thanks Dennis for such a GREAT and VERSATILE cooker. In the cold and snow with a KK is the way to go ( I am sure it will also work in the warm of the summer also.)[/quote']

If you can email any pics to me, I would be happy to post them for you.

-=Jasen=-