Firemonkey

Question about the double-layer construction

Having two materials of different densities sounds like a great plan, but I am wondering how they are bonded together. What is the thickness of each layer? I dont want to find the inner shell cracking apart and crumbling into the bottom of a KK in a couple of years. With the different characteristics of each compound, how have issues surrounding unequal expansion/contraction rates been addressed? Is there any sort of reinforcing mesh within the body?

can you tell I am a more educated (and cautious) consumer this time around?

Double-layer design's stability is engineered

Hello FireMonkey...

Welcome to the forum... I appreciate the opportunity to explain that this design was professionally designed/engineered by a team of the top engineers at ANH refractories.

http://www.anhrefractories.com/

These refractory material experts specialize in refractories designed for extremely demanding applications including molten steel, iron and glass production.

When it comes to Heat-Containment they told me was that there was only one material that could both be durable and insulate. The problem being is that "unobtainium" costs thousand of dollars per gram :lol: Once realized we set out to design, engineer and build the only truly insulated ceramic cooker and of course it had to be two layers... The dense material runs a little more that 1" and the insulation is a little less than 1.5".

Pretty much all high temperature applications use a dense, durable hot face backed with an insulating layer. Ceramic bonding (molecular level) occurs the boundary interface layer at about 1800ºf. Komodo's of course will never get hot enough to achieve this ceramic bonding but the engineers assure me that my Komodo's are so over engineered that their material won't even know it's been heated. These two materials are paired together on a regular basis.

The dense inner layer will expand and contract but the outside insulating layer being very lightweight and porous is very forgiving and will accept this movement.

Yes, both layers have reinforcing wire mesh.