Krypto

Butt smoking... lol

So... Last weekend I did 2 big ol' butts (no... not that kind)

They came out great, were done for my neighbors kid first b-day party... so there were mostly adults hangin out drinking beer and eating my que... lots of them said they really like it but I thought something was missing and that was the smoky flavor... I did throw some hickory chips on top of the coals but I guess not enough.

So here's my question to the pro's:

How do you get that deep smoky flavored bark?

Also... do you trim the fat off the butts before you put them in the kooker? I didn't and there were some rather large chunks of pork fat ...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Whiz (and All) - Where are you finding those "fist sized chunks" of select woods? All I can find in my area is mostly chips. Good smelling, but small chips just the same.

While we are talking about smoke - anyone ever try the Jack Daniels barrel chips? How are they for KK'n?

Thanks!

Hey Whiz (and All) - Where are you finding those "fist sized chunks" of select woods? All I can find in my area is mostly chips. Good smelling, but small chips just the same.

While we are talking about smoke - anyone ever try the Jack Daniels barrel chips? How are they for KK'n?

Thanks!

If you have Barbeques Galore in your area, they have a large selection of wood chunks.

Check their store locator http://www.bbqgalore.com/retail/

Walmart and Home Depot do not have these universally.

My local Walmarts NEVER have lump coal; the closest they come is royal oak briquettes. Tiny bags of smoking chips.

Home Depot in this area doesn't have any chunk smoking wood.

I'm stuck paying $25/bag for Pete's wicked or $22/bag for BGE. Cowboy at Lowe's for $15 some of the time, not year round.

I was on a business trip to Alabama a couple of monts ago, and asked everyone I met (and stopped in every Walmart I passsed) where I could get some lump charcoal. Everybody said "Yeah, I know what you're looking for, you used to be able to get it everywhere, but I haven't seen any in years." I never found any on that trip.

All - Thanks for your tips. I was able to find the Royal Oak lump charcoal at my local Walmart. Curiously, it was not out in the garden center with all the bags of briquettes. I found the lump charcoal inside where the "yearly" garden stuff is kept.

I'll start my shopping for the smoking wood chunks this weekend. We have a "BBQ" Store, but where they are awesome at stocking rubs, sauces, and gasser parts, they are OK at the charcoal part at best...

I'll keep you posted! :)

I'm stuck paying $25/bag for Pete's wicked or $22/bag for BGE. Cowboy at Lowe's for $15 some of the time, not year round.

Whoa, how big is the cowboy bag from Lowes? The Royal Oak at Wmart is under $5/bag for 10#. I never use the cowboy, but I remember seeing it in on the shelf at lowes. The bags didnt look very big, either!

Our Ace doesn't.

What I've discovered is that although they all have access to those things from the national organization, what they actually carry is decided at the local or regional level, and freight and local demand play a huge part in the decision.

The issue with charcoal here in the Northwest is that it comes all the way across the country, and freight is a killer. I've found a source of Lazzari Mesquite here, but they won't order the oak unless I purchase a whole pallet.

In answer to the question, that was a 15 pound bag of cowboy.....

Now that its spring again, I'll go back to the Walmart's supercenter thirty miles south and see if they have any royal oak hidden in the back, but I asked the manager last fall, who had never heard of it. He did have the briquettes.

smoking wood chunks

We usually take a trip every fall to one of the apple farms in the Asheville, NC area. I take a couple of boxes with me an after we're done with the apple picking I ask the owners if it's okay with them to grab some of the wood from the pile of clippings/trimmings they have as a result of the tree maintenance etc... They are actually happy somebody is taking some of that wood off their hands as they just let it go to waste.

I am sure that other farms would be more than happy to accommodate in the same manner.

Whenever I use my smoker for salmon I always use the apple wood as I really like the taste.

As far as the hickory chips... just keep an eye on construction sites, here in Greenville SC there's plenty. Lots of the trees down are hickory and the developers are glad to give you a couple of logs. Then you can chop them and break them into manageable chunks for the grill/smoker. For some reason I can't get myself to pay $5-6 for a bag of mulch...