Amphoran

Old-Time Spice Question

I've recently been given a very old (1957) secret BBQ sauce recipe, which is very different from most modern ones (much thinner, and looking to be very sour). It was ostensibly the secret of Two guys in rural Louisiana, who were so good that Texas oilmen used to fly them to the oil fields for the weekend to do their parties.

I've been sworn to secrecy, and had to go to the crossroads at midnight to get it.....

Anyhow, one of the ingredients listed is "BBQ Spice". Was this any sort of a standard ingredient back in the 50's? I've tried all the search engines, and come up with a lot of rub mixtures, most of which are mixes of most of the other ingredients already in this sauce. Ther is also a good dose of "gumbo powder", which I assume means gumbo file.

Anybody know what the BBQ spice means, or if I'm wrong about the gumbo powder?

Thanks,

Mike

Ya gotta give me the recipe first.... :wink:

Just curious, does the recipe already have cayenne listed as an ingredient? If not maybe that is what they are calling BBQ spice. Or it could just be the rub they make up for the meat. Seems like a lot of BBQ joints use their rub in the sauce and the sauce in their sides (aka. hash).

Hehe, looks like you gotta renegotiate back at the crossroads again! :bonedemon:

Gumbo powder = file' powder

-=Jasen=-

I hadn't thought of cayenne! That is not called out as a separate ingredient, but one line is: "1 bottle hot sauce (optional)". Dry mustard, black pepper and chili powder are also in there.

It looks like a hybrid between a Kentucky-style "black sauce" and a tomato(ish) sauce. I'll make some up and give it a try, then we can play twenty questions.....

That's what the original says. Central Louisiana, late '50s - I'm assuming a small bottle of Tabasco.

This is a very different sauce than anything in circulation nowadays - it is amazing how much tastes can evolve in just a generation or two!