Majestik

Chicken Cook: Torch Good, Probe Bad

So I got to use my new Deej-o-Matic torch for starting the K last night. It was almost weird to have a fire going in 2 minutes. My wife was in shock, "It's going already?" Oh yes, it IS. A few minutes later it was up to temp and I threw in these nice split chicken breasts. Very nice indeed.

chicken1xd3.jpg

I also got to try out a "Smart-BBQ-Remote-Grill-Thermometer" I picked up at Walmart for $15. It was getting ready to storm so I wrapped the base in plastic and brought the remote inside. I did enjoy monitoring the temperature from indoors while the storm raged outside... but the unit leaves much to be desired. You can't pick a target temperature. You can only pick the type of meat and the "taste" which equates to "rare, medium, well"... and it plugs in the temps for you. For chicken you have no choice but well done 180°F. You can also set a timer, but that, too, is clunky. Midway through the cook the probe must have shorted or something because it started alternating between reading the meat temperature and reading the dome temperature... at which time it would alarm, then go back to the meat temp. Very annoying. Perhaps there is something I could pick up at HD to insulate the probe so the lid and/or the heat won't short it out? Sigh.

So this cook resulted in a couple of things. A highly successful test of the torch charcoal lighter, and a failure of the remote temperature monitor. Though it did work well enough to make me want to try better equipment. And of course, the final result, the chicken, was delectable:

img1961tf7.jpg

:P

I've got a redi-check remote, and my main complaint is the VERY limited range. 50 feet across the back yard and through one wall, it frequently loses the signal. As long as the signal is held, it works GREAT, and you can set your alarm points anywhere you want, for both the pit and the meat, or for two different kinds of meat.

I've been thinking about trying to rig up some sort of external horn antenna for the transmitter, but haven't gotten there yet.

Re: Thanks!

Sounds like the Maverick is what I want (until I actually splurge for a guru, which will be... awhile).

;)

Yup, grab the two probe model, mine works fine (at least it did the last time I used it). Don't cheap out like someone we know (eh em..their username initials are FM) and buy two single probe models...hehehehe. But I agree with Amphoran about the range.

-=Jasen=-

I did a web search once, and found a site that showed how to add an antenna to the transmitter unit - evidently a lot of them were manufactured without attaching the wire loop inside the case.....

However, when I opened mine up, the circuit board inside was different than the one shown in the pictures.

HEre is the link to the thread, which runs several pages. The picture links alas are long dead.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tp ... 051153/p/1

Re: Thanks!

Sounds like the Maverick is what I want (until I actually splurge for a guru, which will be... awhile).

;)

Yup, grab the two probe model, mine works fine (at least it did the last time I used it). Don't cheap out like someone we know (eh em..their username initials are FM) and buy two single probe models...hehehehe. But I agree with Amphoran about the range.

-=Jasen=-

Dude, I have 2 of them as a matter of redundancy! I dont use them both at the same time - or maybe I did once?. They had them on sale for like $12 last year, so for that price having a spare makes it almost disposable.

I get a litlle better range than that, but it will occasionally drop the connection if you go move into a dead area with the remote. The biggest problem, is that it doesnt alarm when it loses signal!

I have the 2 probe Maverick as well. It works great with the exception of the range as already mentioned. It will just reach my kitchen so I can keep it on the counter. I'll be using it on the KK ( ;) still waiting for that email from the trucking company ;) ) until I can pop for a Stoker or Guru.

Lowe's was carrying one last season from Oregon Scientific that had the same thing yours does (type of meat plus how well done, auto plugs temps). However, you could also override and put in your own temperatures. The range on it is VERY good (tested from out back through a concrete house to the far corner of it in a bathroom...strong signal still). It's a single probe however so does not monitor you grill temp, just the meat.

I have the Maverick ET-73 I think it is. Two probes. The range on mine is exceptional compared to some of the posts I'm reading. I'm surprised.

My Kooker sits on the patio at the rear of our house. The remote maintains signal all the way to our bedroom; furthest room on the other side of house.