johnnyboy

Butchering whole pig - What cuts to ask for?

Oh Pressure Treated! I got it.

Thanks.

I was thinking "Pressed lumber" like chip board. Duh!!

Yes, wouldn't surprise me if some States still have arsenic in it. But I know Calif. doesn't. For awhile you couldn't find pressure treated at all there until they finally came up with arsenic free version.

Mine was new (I think), although I do think it was a national mandate to not use arsenic in pressure treated lumber any more. I will be sure to wash down any roasts we cook with some vintage vino just in case. Actually we already cooked one of them and are still ok.

Maybe cooking burns it off.

I imagine you'd need to eat a bunch of wood to injest enough to kill yourself. I have no idea how much arsenic is too much, but doesn't seem likely that trace amounts remaining on a saw blade spread across a few cuts of meat would amount to much.

As kids we lived/played on pressure treated fences, built forts, go-carts, etc. out of the stuff. Didn't kill any of us.

Y'know, maybe that is why I wake up screaming in the middle of the night " I think I've been poisoned". Could be cheap booze though.

Seriously, the level oF arsenic was more than likely nil. and the effects on a fully growed man would be negligible, unless you grilled on Wolmanized planks. It might put a little whang in your seafood( no wise cracks).