leejp

Anyone use a Redi-Chek ET-73? Is yours as crummy as mine?

I bought a Redi-Chek ET-73 remote wireless thermometer a couple of years back based on the positive reviews I've read on the net. This is the model that moniters both the pit and food temperature. Hook it up to my Sacramento-K and it'll wake me on overnight cooks if the pit temp were ever to get too low/high.

What a disappointment this unit has been. The receiver is constantly losing sync with the transmitter. This happens without alarm/warning. The receiver simply continues to display the last temperature it received from the transmitter. It simply does not work and I've been using the sensor/transmitter unit only (has a display on it).

As my KK OTB Supreme is due Fri/Mon, I've been considering my options for remote monitering. I'll probably get a Stoker/Guru at some point but do need some way to moniter the pit remote in the meantime. What do you all use?

Remote Thermometers

I believe I have the same Redi Chek unit. I can't find the model number. The biggest problem I have is it won't consistantly transmit up to my second floor bedroom (thru two walls and a floor) in a manner where I can trust it will stay up to date if on my night stand. My bedroom window looks over the K's. I keep waking up and shining a flashlight on it to double check. I have gurus but I like to know what is going on if I run out of coals on 20 hour cooks.

I also bought a couple Taylor wireless units from a Tuesday Morning store last year. $25 each. Those are close to being junk. They monitor meat temp only, with various meat type donenesses and custom temp monitoring. These remotes sometimes go out of range with in 6" of the base.