Majestik

Brisket advice

Hey dude, how did it go? You already know my picks on the brisket details , but figured might was well post.

Leave as much fat as possible, but keep it consistent and place it down for protection (not up). Cook at 235 - 245 (usually closer to 245). Try and use 3 meat probes if you can as this critter can be a pain an not cook as even as you like. Just average the temps and pulls the minute they hit your target goal (I like 192-193). Then immediately place in foil, and pack with ice packs. Conventional wisdom is great on pork butt being it does not mind continuing to cook and will not hurt if some juice is lost. But the brisket should be dropped back to serving temps (140-150) as quick as possible to stop the hot juice from leaking out (it don't go back..hehe). Then slice and serve! So, don't let your meat loaf!!! :roll:

-=Jasen=-

Ah yes....

img1963ay6.jpg

It must be five years or more since I've done any kind of brisket... what was I thinking?

Thanks for all the advice... I did mine fat down at 240 for 7hours, then foiled and cooled in the fridge for 30 minutes... and it was fabulous. Moist and juicy and full of smoky goodness.

It was so good I actually portioned off a few servings to save for later before I served it because, like I expected, the family made short work of it.

Love it. :P

That looks like one juicy brisket. I've only done one brisket before and that was 12 years ago. I may have to make that my first low and slow when my KK gets here. Its supposed to have landed in the US on Saturday, I can almost smell the mesquite !!!

Pulled pork can wait !!!

Nice Job!!

Nice brisket Majestic!!!

I'm glad you posted. I learned something. I never knew about the ice/refer part! No wonder mine tend to dry out. I've always wrapped them the same as pork butts, then rest in cooler/microwave. Wonder where I learned that?????

I'll definietely rush the temp down faster next time.

Yes, the rapid cooldown seemed to help a lot.

I threw away my crappy temperature probe so I was "flying blind". To minimize peeking I looked to an old post by Drunk_J for guidance, where he said he did a 5lb flat for 6 hours and it was just a little too short... so I did mine for 7.5 hours without opening the kamado. It came out very nice indeed.

:D

I do think that the rapid cooling makes a very nice difference in the retained moisture content of the brisket. Of course that is provided there was still juice left in it to begin with....hehehe.

Here is a link to an old post on cooking brisket! viewtopic.php?t=1667

-=Jasen=-

Oughta somehow get that information into the recipe section if it is not there already

I do think that the rapid cooling makes a very nice difference in the retained moisture content of the brisket. Of course that is provided there was still juice left in it to begin with....hehehe.

-=Jasen=-

Oughta somehow get that information into the recipe section if it is not there already

I will repost something about it in the cooking technique section...how's that?

-=Jasen=-

-=Jasen=-

I will repost something about it in the cooking technique section...how's that?

-=Jasen=-[/quote:1mgnlsfe]

Works for me :-)

2nd brisket

I did my 2nd brisket last night. It was a little over 6 pounds and I was thinking it would be about a 12 hour cook. So I started at about 6PM. I kept the temps between 215 to 240 for the duration. It hit 185 at 12:30 and I pulled it off, foiled it, wrapped it in a towel and left it on the counter top at room temp. This morning at 7 I unfoiled and inspected it. It was still pretty warm, perfect eating temp, actually. It was super tender, delicious and juicy! Had maybe 1/4 cup of juice or less in the foil. I cut it in half, Zip-Loc bagged it, threw half in the fridge and brought the other half to work. So: It cooked in 6 1/2 hrs, not 12, and was perfectly done. Lost very little juice and went through no icing or cooling machinations, just flopped it on the counter in foil and a towel. Simple method, perfect results. Make it more complicated if you want, but it ain't necessary.

Re: 2nd brisket

I did my 2nd brisket last night. It was a little over 6 pounds and I was thinking it would be about a 12 hour cook. So I started at about 6PM. I kept the temps between 215 to 240 for the duration. It hit 185 at 12:30 and I pulled it off' date=' foiled it, wrapped it in a towel and left it on the counter top at room temp. This morning at 7 I unfoiled and inspected it. It was still pretty warm, perfect eating temp, actually. It was super tender, delicious and juicy! Had maybe 1/4 cup of juice or less in the foil. I cut it in half, Zip-Loc bagged it, threw half in the fridge and brought the other half to work. So: It cooked in 6 1/2 hrs, not 12, and was perfectly done. Lost very little juice and went through no icing or cooling machinations, just flopped it on the counter in foil and a towel. Simple method, perfect results. Make it more complicated if you want, but it ain't necessary.[/quote']

Just for info if you are referencing my posts, the 12 hrs was for a packers cut (or whole) brisket. Flats should be cooked faster. But the cool down method works well for me (only the flat gets rapid cooled). Foiling and sticking it in the fridge bottom drawer doesn't seem any harder to me than foiling it and sticking it on the table. I have cooked plenty both ways and prefer the rapid cool down. To each his own, but don't knock it till you try it!

-=Jasen=-

empirical observations

The only reason I mentioned the time was it surprised me it both cooked that fast and came out so tender. Just an observation. It concurs with some observations made over on the Weber forum about cooking briskets faster than I would have thought. As far as cooling, again I'm just making an observation of what happened, esp. regarding the lack of juice loss. It was only my 2nd brisket, I'm no expert! All I can do is learn from y'all. BTW, got a turkey on there right now, 13 pounder, at 240. No rub, no baste, no breast ice down, just threw it on. We'll see.