ChefJeff

"Gas lighter" chat---and of course a question.

Greetings all,

While my new Komodo is going through the process of being built, I'm thinking of late about the option of the gas lighter. In my old ceramic cooker that I had, I would use newspaper in a few strategic places, light it, and then be in business. After a while, I got kinda fancy. I purchased a MAPP fuel canister, and a Bernzomatic trigger. Wow was that ever POWER. Easy to use, safe enough (although I was nervous, every time I used it), and this became my preferred method of lighting the lump. Until recently I assumed that this is how "Moses" would be lit, after he makes the voyage from Indonesia to Southern California. Now I'm not so sure. The thought a dedicated gas burner sounds pretty nice, but I do have a couple of questions. If any of my forum brethren and sisthren (I think I just made up a new word) have any opinions, I'm definitely a listenin'.

Question one is wondering if the gas igniter makes the cooker any less air tight, from holes in the cooker that surely must be necessary for the gas hose to connect with the igniter.

Question two regards the nature in which the lump will be lit with an igniter. The lump will burn from the bottom up, as opposed to how I used to light the fire. I've heard that for long, or low and slow cooks, that it is still better to light from the top. I'd really like to know if you experienced cooks have found this to be true as well.

My last question has to do with the fact that with a gas igniter (and burner), I could actually do a cook without any lump. I can't imagine ever doing this. But on the other hand, maybe the nature of a ceramic cooker's "Tandoori-like" abilities, might make charcoal free cooks, still more successful than a standard gas grill. I'd dig some thoughts on this subject too.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.---and for those who have mom's or know mom's, or are mom's---have a happy Mother's day! I'll be cooking for 13 this Sunday. I am so anticipatory about my new Komodo and all of the great cooks that await---but I'm also one of those nuts who have multiple cookers. This Sunday, I'll be smoking chicken quarters in my electric, metal sealed smoker.

Cheers all,

Jeff

Jeff,

I have employed all of the lighting techniques that you have mentioned, except in my case I used the newspaper to light a chimney outside of the grill. I thought the newspaper ash would be blowing around in the grill. Here are my comments on each method:

Newspaper - too much work and the ash can be problematic in the grill. This method is kinda slow to get going, too.

Gas burner - very quick and easy. You just fire the burner a minute, and go. This is how I would light my POSK, and initially my KK (each has a burner of its own). A fast, clean and simple way to ignite as much lump as you want - low fire, short burn. Hot fire - just run the burner a few minutes more.

The KK burner is attached to a solid door, and is airtight when turned off and closed. You need to pull the door out an inch or so when you run the burner, so it can get air to mix with the fuel. I also got a spare solid door so I can take the burner out completely. My qualm with the KK burner for ignition was that it quickly filled with falling ash, and you would have to remove the burner to shake the ash out. Not a big deal, but I had one of the first Gen2s to be shipped, and the gas door was barely bigger that the burner. It was a pain in my case to get it out and back in. Dennis has since corrected this, so it should no longer be an issue. The KK burner is a genuine burner, and as such is fairly large. Therefore I choose to keep it out of the grill so it doesnt take up so much room in the ash compartment. If you have the burner coming with your grill, give it a try as your igniter. Especially if you have a solid door and you can swap it out after you have it lit. That way, you have the best of both worlds, a clean burner and lots of room for accumulated ash.

Torch - This is what I am using now, courtesy of DJ Fabricators, llc. ;) Its fast, convenient, and clean. The only place i can say the gas burner would be preferred is when trying to get going on a hot cook. With the torch, you can light a few spots, let it spread, and stir it around and be going in 5-10 minutes after that. With the gas burner, you could run the gas for 5-10 minutes and be ready to roll.

I havent tried using the gas alone to cook with, but the wife has been after me to fill the tank so she could use the grill to do burgers or chicken breasts while I am out traveling. Charcoal is outside of her skillset, so I have been meaning to give gas a try. I will let you know when I do...or you can let me know, since you will likely get around to it before i do :D

Re: "Gas lighter" chat---and of course a question.

Question two regards the nature in which the lump will be lit with an igniter. The lump will burn from the bottom up, as opposed to how I used to light the fire. I've heard that for long, or low and slow cooks, that it is still better to light from the top. I'd really like to know if you experienced cooks have found this to be true as well.

Seems to be a lot of debate on that subject, but as far as I am concerned it does not matter. Someone might have had a bad experience with a cook and blamed it on where they lit it. If you stay consistent with any method you choose, there will be no problems. I used the burner in my old ceramic grill and in my new ceramic lighting from the bottom for a long time and it worked perfect. Here recently, since making a convenient torch, top lighting has become my preferred method. But only because this is the easiest way for me (due to lower back issues) and nothing to do with being better from top or bottom.

The gas option is a nice option to have. Gives you convenience and flexibility as to cooking fuel. Whatever choice you make, congrats on the new grill and know you will enjoy!

-=Jasen=-

I agree that there is likely no significant difference between lighting from the top or bottom. With controlled airflow, you are only dealing with a fraction of the potential fire at any given time. That means there is plenty of time for the burn to spread in any direction to maintain the temps.

That said, I think I prefer burning from the bottom, at least when I am going to cook at roasting temps or higher. Just my opinion (today), and not anything that I can back up with solid observations. I just think I got a more even burn when I used the gas burner to start the grill. I say "think" because its been several months since I have actually done so.

See, once your grill arrives, you will have no shortage of theories, or recipes, to test for yourself :o

cookin with gas

Yup, it's been done. In fact, our own Dennis has cooked without lump. Others have, too. It's posted around on the boards somewhere. I think the topic came up recently, in fact. There was discussion of being able to get to sufficiently high temps on just gas. Sorry I can't be more specific about where/when the thread was.

Burner Threads

I think these might be the threads you are looking for.

DJ's Propane Burner Project thread

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1515&sid=a74caaa676a127bb51d8f0826cb18f71

Burner flame thread, includes Dennis burying the needle at 800 degrees

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1265&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Temperature using gas only thread

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570

where can I find the ash cover project for the gas burner? Kind of a pain to remove the burner each time to shake out the dust!

That one was a Deej project. He was testing all sorts of different materials and all. I think he finally decided on a Trojan. ;)

where can I find the ash cover project for the gas burner? Kind of a pain to remove the burner each time to shake out the dust!

I tried to keep everything simple and consistent with those projects. I believe they are all located under features and accessories. The one you want is tittled "Burner Cover Project". Make sure you looks at the second revision of the project and not the first. viewtopic.php?t=1545

-=Jasen=-