bobvoeh

First Cook, Little Sirloin Tip Roast

Well, I have mixed emotions about this first cook.

First, man it looks good !!!!

aVJ5U2i.jpg

It was very juicy in the middle. The problem is that nice thick line of grizzle running right through the middle.

Pq1vHivJ.jpg

As long as I carved around the grizzle it was good. I pulled it off the grill at 163 degrees as the household likes their beef almost well done. Next time I might try 158 or 160, I like it a little pink. However, as done as it was, it was still very tender and juicy. The fam was impressed to say the least.

Now that this first cook is out of the way, it will pave the way to some good Q this weekend !!!!

Thanks for all your help. This forum has taught me so much in a short amount of time.

Good eats !!!!

Bob hope I didn't give you bad advise' date=' I was thinking the roast was a little longer and more narrow. If the probe was at 163, it should have been VERY well done, you sure the probe was inserted far enough?[/quote']

No, no bad advice at all.

The Tip of the probe was somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 through the roast, I didn't want to put it all the way through. Trust me, I didn't get any complaints other than the grizzle, which wouldn't have mattered any way I cooked it. My wife and kids do not like any bit of pink, so I usually try to give them the first cuts and I"ll take the middle. With that small of a roast it probably would have been hard to accomplish.

My reading of cooking temps places well done at 170, which is why I was figuring 160 to 165 might have some pink in the middle, I take it that is not the case since there was no pink.

What temps do you consider Rare, Medium and Well Done using a temp probe? Bear with me, I'm still learning :)

Also, say I'm aiming for a specific temp, do I pull the meat before that target and it will climb some more after being off the KK?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I gotta say, the group of people on this Forum is a wealth of valuable information. Thanks again !!

That looks great to me Bobvoeh!

Just a bummer the grizzle bothers you. I'd cut right around it not giving it a second thought.

Yes, temps can climb ~10 F after removing the meat. But sorry, I can't tell you if you should pull at the desired temp or 10 F. below. Personally I typically pull at the desired temp and never look again.

What temps do you consider Rare, Medium and Well Done using a temp probe? Bear with me, I'm still learning :)

Also, say I'm aiming for a specific temp, do I pull the meat before that target and it will climb some more after being off the KK?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I gotta say, the group of people on this Forum is a wealth of valuable information. Thanks again !!

Here is a general guide ( http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1710 ) that stays at the top of the cooking general section. Also, the amount of temp increase you will get after removing from grill will directly relate to the mass of the meat and where you place it afterwards (in foil, on counter, air temp...etc). So nobody can give you a hard fast rule (except use a thermometer if it is critical to you). As long as you know it will increase and obviously a whole boston butt will go longer than a steak or that foiling verses not foiling will increase it too, your good to go. The fun part is just experimenting on your own!

Have fun!

-=Jasen=-