bobvoeh

First KK Rib Eyes

M'mmmmm, 2 and a half pounds of steak.

Pq2jKGu0.jpg

Man, them things kick up a lot of smoke at 600°

aV2HTqV9.jpg

I tried to get medium well, but ended up getting well done. But even well done, those were the most tender steaks I have ever eaten. You could cut them with a fork.

aV2HTIn9.jpg

Next time I'll pull them 3 minutes earlier and see what happens.

Pq2jK_r9.jpg

Those look great dude!

Another tip for medium is to use the sear grill and forget the lid down dwell. I do my steaks entirely on the sear grill with lid open. It is a little harder with thicker steaks as you have to move them off to the side sometimes (which is why I am working on a small rack to work in conjunction with the sear grill).

Anyway, the trick I find works for me is around 90 seconds per side in the roaring flame (giving a 90 degree rotation halfway for extra grill marks). That is with the lid open and the bottom vent wide open. As my time runs down on the last side, I completely close the bottom vent. That will choke out the roaring flame pretty quick and leave some great looking coals. Then just keep checking them and flipping on occasion till they get to your desired doneness. Learn to use the pressure test method as you can get a good idea how done they are by simply pressing on the steaks gently with your tongs (that way no cutting or piercing the meat is needed). The softer feeling, obviously the more rare. When it gets firm, it is well done. A little practice gets you right on track with your own preference for doneness. Then I remove the steaks and rest them while preparing the tatars!

-=Jasen=-

Wow, those look just awesome, Bob!

In the past year or so, ribeyes have become one of my favorite cuts of meat. They just seem to have the best combination of flavor and tenderness. Also, at least here locally, we have some butchers that tend to sell them at what I would consider better prices for that cut.

Way back, I used to live in the WPB area north of LW. I have some family down there, so when I'm back down that way, I'll let you know and maybe we can connect. We can shop talk about our KKs!

Beautiful-looking steaks!