bobvoeh

675 Degrees On Gas

Finally got everything connected with pipe dope with no leaks. I figured I'd clean out the fire grate and ashes and give it a test run. I left out the fire grate, inserted the burner and put in all the cooking grids as they were getting pretty crusty, time for a good cleaning. It took me a while to figure out how the gas reacts with the dampers, but I finally got it to 675 degrees with the bottom damper completely shut and the top one completely open. This was with my 30psi adjustable regulater barely open so I'm guessing 10psi or less. I let it set at 675 for 20 minutes and then shut it down. Everything is black and crispy inside, time for a good brushing. I'll try opening up the regulator a little more and see what I can push it too.

The burner had about 3/4" blue flame going to orange and I did not see any visible soot in the exhaust. The heat coming out of the top damper had no odor at all until it started cooking off the gunk from the inside of the grill, then it was normal grey smoke. No smells of unburnt gas that I could tell.

I'm pretty happy with the results so far, if I can get to 800 on gas, I'll be satisfied. I'm betting just a bump on the regulator and I'll get it there. I just need to make sure I'm still not getting any soot when I get it there.

aV2MONZ0.jpg

Fire Fire Fire !!!

Probably will be a difference in how to set things up from me, being you are using higher pressure and do not want to impede flow as much. But using gas the theory is somewhat different with damper control than charcoal. I found my highest temps by closing the top damper as much as possible without impeding the flue gases that have to escape to prevent extinguishing the flame. I found that one half turn open worked perfect with the low pressure regulator and gave me my highest temps (would be more for you). The reason for this is to hold in the heat when using gas instead of letting it fly out the damper top. Since the combustion is happening in the lower area (not in fire box), I did keep the front draft door and rear burner doors cracked open. Anyway, those settings gave me my highest temps of 525 with only 10" WC low pressure (as a reference - 27.58" of Water Column = 1 psi).

Anyway, not saying for sure this will work better for you, but might get you to your target temp! Just don't blow yourself up...hehe. Never leave the gas unattended and if the sound changes (such as the flame going out) ...turn off gas damn quick and open up the entire grill for a while to let the gas escape. Wish I could find the pic that circulated at work of a guy who re-lit his gas grill after the flame went out before airing out the gas built up.....it was not a pretty picture of him, his house/outdoor kitchen or what used to be a grill (and normal gas grill are low pressure). :blob6:

My results are in this thread if you wanted further info: viewtopic.php?t=1515

-=Jasen=-

I'll give those damper settings a try and see what it does, I left the regulater exactly where it was set at. The only problem I have seen with the burner was one time I was lighting charcoal with it. Had some Snap Crackle and Pops going on when lighting the Royal Oak and I think a spark shot through the opening where the orifice is and lit it !! All of a sudden I heard this rush of a sound and noticed the fire where the air inlet of the burner is and shut it down. Everything was fine afterwards, but man did that scare me. And that was before I started fiddling with it to get higher temps. It only happened once and as Frank Castanza could be heard saying, "It was a million-to-one shot, Doc."

I'll give those damper settings a try and see what it does' date=' I left the regulater exactly where it was set at. The only problem I have seen with the burner was one time I was lighting charcoal with it. Had some Snap Crackle and Pops going on when lighting the Royal Oak and I think a spark shot through the opening where the orifice is and lit it !! All of a sudden I heard this rush of a sound and noticed the fire where the air inlet of the burner is and shut it down. Everything was fine afterwards, but man did that scare me. And that was before I started fiddling with it to get higher temps. It only happened once and as Frank Castanza could be heard saying, "It was a million-to-one shot, Doc."[/quote']

Hahahha, did you need some TP for your bunghole afterwards....hahaha!

-=Jasen=-

I'll give those damper settings a try and see what it does' date=' I left the regulater exactly where it was set at. The only problem I have seen with the burner was one time I was lighting charcoal with it. Had some Snap Crackle and Pops going on when lighting the Royal Oak and I think a spark shot through the opening where the orifice is and lit it !! All of a sudden I heard this rush of a sound and noticed the fire where the air inlet of the burner is and shut it down. Everything was fine afterwards, but man did that scare me. And that was before I started fiddling with it to get higher temps. It only happened once and as Frank Castanza could be heard saying, "It was a million-to-one shot, Doc."[/quote']

Hahahha, did you need some TP for your bunghole afterwards....hahaha!

-=Jasen=-

Well, I never lost watertight integrity, but that got my heart pumping for sure !!! :eek: Good thing I was standing right next to it when it happened, just shut the tank off PDQ.

Hey Bob - how did you finally make out using the "gas only" configuration? What temps are you able to maintain? Is this LP or Natural Gas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Wayne

Since that last post, that project has been put on the back burner (pardon the pun :-) ). I'll have to get back to that. I'll have to put it back in there and fire it up again. I've had such good results just using Royal Oak Lump, I haven't even bothered with it.

If I get some time, I'll hook it back up and cook something to see how it tastes.