Roland-B

wireless thermometer

When you post a new topic at the bottom of the page is a way to add poll entries. I'd recommend a series of price ranges as well as options for "Not interested, I use a Guru/Stoker", "Not interested, I don't use a meat probe", or similar reasons why. These could guide development and help shape the target audience a bit - if he's got the RF experience it may be more cost effective to create a Maverick extender/repeater instead of a whole new product, for example.

That is freekin beautiful, just saw this, got up from the couch and viola after 30 mins I have new range on my redichek. Never was a huge problem but now it reached to the couch that I frequent. Very easy to do (even after a few beers). Didn't mess anything up. Thanks for the info.

Question...Should you keep the wire straight or coil it up????

Question...Should you keep the wire straight or coil it up????

RF design is a black art to me still, all sorts of weird things can go into the calculation of getting the best signal. I'd imagine that keeping the antenna mostly straight would be better, but I don't know if you'd be better off keeping the antenna vertical, horizontal, or at some angle (and who knows, maybe keeping it in a coil lets those electrons really build up speed before they shoot out the end :D). Chances are your mileage will vary based on the number of walls (if any) you're going through, if they're concrete or wood, if there's metal ductwork, if there are power lines in them, if you've got other RF devices in the area, etc. Trimming the antenna to a precise length may also help, if the transmitter is at 900MHz having a multiple of 6.24" could help isolate the appropriate wavelength. You can calculate the length with a more precise frequency here. Trial and error is often the best way to experiment with these things since there's so much variation from setup to setup.

But I'm not an RF engineer - now if you wanted to mount an optical transceiver and run fiber between the transmitter and receiver I could set you up with a sweet multi-channel DWDM system for running a bunch of probes and if you wanted to go more than 50 miles or so I could show you where to put the amplifier :)

Re: brick wall

I've got a laptop' date=' but trying to figure out how to network the Stoker has me stumped. And that's why I got it![/quote']

Doc, just read this thread, you may have already solved this, if so disregard.

I use the Stoker on my home network and it works great! While I work in the technology field I’m hardly an expert on networking. It’s pretty straight forward once you get pointed in the right direction. Here’s my setup, I plug my Stoker into Linksys wireless bride, wireless bridge connects to my wireless router. I then connect to my stoker through any computer on my network (also can connect when I’m away from home using my SmartPhone) using Stokerlog.

If I can be of any assistance don’t hesitate to let me know. Also, there’s a very helpful group of people on The Virtual Weber Bullet site and they’d be more than happy to help you out too, several Mac guys there also.