aldovr

Newbie Questions

I searched the forum but couldn't come up with the answers.

What is the function of the rear door? Is it for ash removal? If so it isn't level with the floor of the kooker. Can this be done thru the lower draft door? What tool is best suited for this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Newbie Questions

I searched the forum but couldn't come up with the answers.

What is the function of the rear door? Is it for ash removal? If so it isn't level with the floor of the kooker. Can this be done thru the lower draft door? What tool is best suited for this?

Thanks in advance

It is for the gas option. Ash removal is done through the front draft door.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Newbie Questions

done thru the lower draft door? What tool is best suited for this?

That is about the only way to get it out. I find it easiest to remove the charcoal basket, maybe even the fire ring, and just push it all out the front door.

It can be messy, but you dont have to do it very frequently. When the ash piles up in the middle, you can push it back up around the edges, under the fire ring. For the few times a year you do need to empty it, try to pick a day thats not too windy. Since the ash is falling from the front door to the catch bin on the ground, wind will make it exponentially messier :o

Some people just stick a shop vac in and suck the ash out, if that sounds better to you.

Been working on a EZ clean insert..

I've been playing with a few ideas and will eventually have something that holds a trash bag that fits into the front draft door assembly so that when you sweep out the front opening it goes directly into a bag and makes no mess! I definitely think the Ultimate grill should have something like that...

;);)

Get to work Dennis; make one for the 19.5 too!

For what ever it's worth; I know it get mixed reviews. But, I like the ash tool from K. Take a cardboard carton, line with trash bag, slide it under the door, and pull out the ash using the ash tool. Works great long as you're not cleaning on a windy day.

I too like to pack the ash until I can't pack anymore. Don't ask me why, but I think packing the ash adds something.

Caution using shop vacs, Hot Embers! And not all shop vacs can handle the ash. It tends to clog my Craftsman shop vac filter. End up spending more time cleaning that than anything.

I have been using my fireplace shovel, it's just a cheapy so I can kind of bend the shovel part to fit through the door and empty the ash into the ash bucket. I don't get it squeaky clean, and in fact I don't clean it out every time either. I may remove the fire box to clean it out once or twice a year when I get really motivated.

This is going to sound outrageous, especially after all the claims you got from the other kamp....but YES! you can take out the fire ring. Its two pieces, and its very solid and heavy, not brittle and crumbly like the lower quality brand.

You almost have to take it out to empty ash, and there is absolutely no harm in doing so. Just set it back in place when you are done. It doesnt "wedge" in like the POSK type does.