DennisLinkletter

Results of the long road to Atomic Turd Nirvana

After eating some Jack in the Box cheese filled deep fried Jalapenos, Sai, my better half was in love. I've long wanted to make her an atomic turd or twelve.

As we have no Jalapenos here in Asia, I brought back seeds and had a friend grow them hydroponically. That was last summer and here are the results.

12 Jalapenos

250gram/8 oz block of Philly cream cheese (easier if at room temperature)

1/3 C finely grated parmesan cheese

1 tsp granulated garlic

1 Tbsp dry onion powder

1 Tbsp of your favorite paprika based Q rub

1 Tbsp honey

12 slices streaky pork belly/bacon

We sliced them in half and took out either half or all the seeds and membranes. Leave some seeds for more heat. Fill halves and wrap and skewer with toothpicks or sate sticks..

AtomicTurds.jpg

I cooked/smoked them indirect with a little hickory at 325º for 30 minutes and the Jalapenos still had crunch and the bacon was chewy.. I cranked it up to 425º and then closed it down to kill the burn. I came back about 20 minutes later to perfection..

AtomicTurdsdone.jpg

Melt in your mouth, flavor loaded, just enough heat to know there are chilies in there but not so much to make you sweat..

Ahh their reputation for being a BBQ great is well deserved..

:lol::lol:

I wonder if there's a way to do these vegetarian. I have a misguided friend (since jr high) who hasn't had meat since high school. Granted, we're still very young, but it has been a number of years.

He loves grilled non-meat things, and spicy hot non-meat things. How to keep these moist and delicious, without the bacon?

I like to put a small grape tomato in mine, and then fill the rest of the cavity with cream cheese. I like them better with less cheese, and the juicy tomato tastes great in the mix.

You could absolutely cook these without bacon. I bet you could put the cheese in first, then plug the pepper with the grape tomato. The cheese melts and runs out if you dont have it captured with bacon. Just keep it indirect, about 300 until they are very soft. They wont dry out unless you let them get crispy. DO cook them for an hour or more, or they will be very hot. The longer you cook them, the milder the heat becomes.

Mist them with olive oil before you put them on. It helps keep them moist, and will give the spice something to adhere to. If you are worried about them drying, keep a little bath of liquid on the grill to dip them in periodically.