mungeti

Hello all from Iowa

Arrived and first cook

I rec'd my cooker around 11am on Thursday as promised. The delivery man was a nice guy, but did not have the kind of equipment necessary to help me move it to the back yard patio. So it sat in my front driveway all day until about 8pm, where I enlisted a small army.

gx1PMrgi.jpg

I followed the instructions for removing the crate and it went without a hitch. I took the lid off. Took the grates out, took the fire box out and made it a lot lighter. I then extended the ropes that Dennis' team put on the K2 so that I when I put the 2x4's through the rope loops you would only have to bend over 4 inches. This idea worked very slick and also prevented it from being top heavy. We had one person on the end of each board (4 peop's) and it moved rather easily. It is now at its final resting place. I have include picts.

gx1PNZxS.jpg

I then followed some advice as to doing a dry cook.... No meat involved... Sorted the charcoal..Put the large pieces in first.... added smaller and smaller pices... Did a chimney light for the charcoal. All worked well. Practiced getting the temp down and learning how to control it. I got it to 270 degrees and did not have a lot of luck getting it lower.... sooo I mad a small assumption that perhaps my thermometer was not calibrated. I decided to do a cook.....

gx1PO61i.jpg

These were bone in Pork Butts... Approximated 9#'s each. I did not tie them up. I think I would do that the next time.

gx1POuYJ.jpg

I put the butt's in at around 10:30 pm at 270 degrees... I bought a polder and was very happy with its performance.. It read 43 degrees when put on the grill.

gx1PPrQ9.jpg

I put the butt's in the freezer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.... wa laaaa

Here is the rub Recipe I have used over the years on ribs. Is very nice.

Barbecue Rub

3 tablespoons of Coarse Salt

3 tablespoons of (packed) dark brown sugar

3 tablespoons of paprika

1-2 tablespoons of ground black pepper (depends if it is fresh ground or not)

1 tablespoon of garlic powder

1 teaspoon of cumin

(We usually double this recipe for rub. We like to use just the rub on shrimp and cook it on the grill with kebabs etc… It is quite good for other seafood also. We have received alot of compliments and other suggestions for its use from our friends.)

gx1PQ7eA.jpg

You may be letting your grill get too hot before the cook. Once it gets heat soaked, you can almost forget trying to get the temps down. You are better off getting it up to your target temp and leaving it there. So if I'm doing a low and slow, I will only let it get up to 225 - 245 and let it heat soak there. Don't let it get out of control, if your coals get too lit up, you might not be able to keep it down that low.

Mungeti, Fill your basket with lump and smoke wood, then only light a partial chimney of lump to pour on top of it. You can see in the pictures in the link below, how few coals it takes to get going for a low and slow. In that cook, I just grabbed a tong full of coals from my other cooker to get it going.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... baby+backs

EXCELLENTE'

i GOT IT. :lol: You all would have been laughing at me... I had a full chimney lit and it was should I say....... Roaring...... then I put it in the grill and tried to contain the temp.. I eventually did. But it was challenging. This will work a lot better.. Doing a 12# outside bottom round in place of a brisket... has a nice fat layer on both sides of the meat I will provide picts later and then also some baby backs... Looking forward to it... I am going to add more then the 4 chuncks of hickory that I used for the pork butts. Hope for a little more smoke flavor... May even try to cook them both at the same time.

Lots of the neighbors are envying the grill...

Thanks e1 8)

Yeah, you gotta use some more wood! Mix it all in with your lump so it gives a little smoke throughout the cook.

Also, dont forget that there is a temperature differential, between the dome and the grate. I am doing a huge chuck roll right now, and my dome thermometer reads 272, while the main grate is reading 243.

I have 2 wireless thermometers, so I have one in the meat right now, and the other stuck through a wadded piece of aluminum foil and sitting next to the meat. That way I can monitor the grill temp from inside. When it gets closer to being done, I will take the grill temp probe and put it in the other end of the meat.