mungeti

Hello all from Iowa

I love it!!! Microsoft user model would need a "Are you sure?" switch next to the "Off" switch. :lol:

Sorry DJ, couldn't help myself. :eek:

Giggle... or it would just quit for no reason, and put up a little sign that said "oops. My bad. Good thing you weren't doing anything important."

hehehe. :smt005

(I've had Macs at home since 1984!!)

In Iowa :wink: ...... I started without a guru and because of my ignorance, :oops: I had a BUNCH of trouble with my first overnight cook (read; practically no sleep because the Maverick was alarming me all night long) I chased the temp and actually had the fire go out.

I ordered a Guru the next day and have no desire to spend a night like that again. I will say that I have gotten much better - that was 1.5 years ago. I did a 5 hour rib cook over the weekend and controlled it manually with no problems. But, I have no intention of starting a 12 hour+ cook without my autopilot! I always run my lower wheel full open* and control the temp with the dome. (*pizza and steaks require also pulling out the lower door an inch or so)

One piece of advice, if you try a long cook without a controller, start it in the morning and you will have all day to get it right, I started mine @ 7:30 pm and it was not fun. You can read about the fun here; viewtopic.php?t=748

I love it!!! Microsoft user model would need a "Are you sure?" switch next to the "Off" switch.

Or it could turn the gas burner on high automatically, blue flames of death instead of the blue screen of death :twisted:

Yea, but with Microsoft in the picture, if the fire went out, you would just have to do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE to restart the coals.

In Iowa :wink: ...... I started without a guru and because of my ignorance' date=' :oops: I had a BUNCH of trouble with my first overnight cook (read; practically no sleep because the Maverick was alarming me all night long) I chased the temp and actually had the fire go out. [/quote']

I had the same experience with my first low and slow, Secret Agent! Was awful! I mean, the meat turned out great (eventually), but I was a basket case. Chasing temp, raging inferno, then fire went out at 2 in the morning (ash choked fire from inferior extruded wood-like product).

Unlike you, though, I didn't go out and get a minder. I still get a little nervous on overnight cooks, but I refuse to get up and worry about it at 3 in the morning. And I use "real" lump, not inferior extruded wood-like product.

Of course, I'm cooking on Another Manufacturer's Cooker. KOmodo experiences will vary, I'm sure.

Thanks

Thanks for the helpful tips and color comMeatary :smt041 . The Cooker should be at my house I think this Friday. Woo Hoo. I have guests coming for the weekend. One is my retired ex boss. He is a true connoisseur of fine food and gadgets within which to cook with. If this works out, he will buy one. My first attempt is going to be some pork butts. I will look for a recipe, and try to make it execute. Wish me luck., Thanks again... Keep the sarcasm coming. :) I travel alot for my job, but as we get to know each other if you are ever in the Council Bluffs/Omaha area perhaps we could arrange a visit. Thanks again for the tips and advice. I will take pictures and pass on and also provide a review. The next thing I will try will be some baby backs. Hope to get them both out this weekend.

Re: Thanks

...My first attempt is going to be some pork butts. I will look for a recipe' date=' and try to make it execute. Wish me luck....The next thing I will try will be some baby backs. Hope to get them both out this weekend.[/quote']

Be prepared. At a normal low and slow temp (250ish) that butt's going to take HOURS. No kidding, over 12, depending on how big it is. So don't put it on when you wake up in the morning, expecting to have pork butt for supper the same day.

Look around on the boards for basic tips. Generally accepted method (by no means ONLY method) is to tie it up (if boneless), slather with yellow mustard, and then with dry rub. Put it in the cooker (indirect, with a drip pan) and leave it alone. No, don't peek at it now and then - the heat comes out and you'll increase the cooking time.

Alternative is not to use mustard (I don't). Tie it up, dry it with paper towels, and put rub on it.

Ribs will take hours, too. But you probably won't need to cook them in foil (a way to steam the meat to make it tender). The cooker is so sealed, and holds in so much moisture that the ribs will come out tender and delicious.

Again, usually accepted method is to trim the ribs, peel silver thingy off, dry them, and rub them (with or without mustard "glue"). Personal choice if you want to baste with something sticky at the last hour or so.

There's a whole recipe and tips and hints section, and ribs and butts are VERY popular topics. :happy8:

One quick addition you may have gleaned from Sanny's post, but times aren't exactly a precise measure when it comes to low and slow cooking (high temp grilling is a bit easier). Things like the composition and type of meat, the shape of the cut, direct vs. indirect cooking, minor changes in the actual temperature, and a host of other factors could have an impact on the duration of the cook by hours. For this reason we never just set a timer and pull the meat out when it should be done, but rather it's better to cook using temperature probes as a guide. So instead of saying "It'll be done in 12 hours" we typically say "It'll be done when the internal temperature is xxx" (depending on how well you like it done).

...So instead of saying "It'll be done in 12 hours" we typically say "It'll be done when the internal temperature is xxx" (depending on how well you like it done).

Yah, I guess I wasn't clear.

If you have a meat thermometer that you can plug into the meat and leave in, and read from outside the cooker, keep an eye on the temp without opening the cooker. If you have an instant read (as I do), poke it in the butt at some point after, say, 8 hours (for a hefty butt) and see where you are.

Don't forget that there's the interminable (but very necessary) time in a low and slow butt cook that the meat temp will just SIT there and not move. I think it's around 170, but I forget. You'll see it on the boards here. That's when all the magic happens! The collagen is breaking down, and the meat is getting wonderfully tender. And you are losing your mind with anticipation. Once that's finished, the temps will climb again.

So, why tell you that? Don't go messing with the cooker temperature, thinking that you need to raise the heat to get it over the plateau!! Just keep your hands off it and let the magic do its thing. lol :wink:

It's all very exciting.

Since it's your boss or other important person (other than yourself and family) coming to supper, consider whether an overnight is what you want to start with. I mean, sure, it's impressive. But make sure there's grill time for a steak or chicken or fish or grilled veggies! Of course, you could do those after the butt comes off the grill, if you time it right.

:)

Mungeti, I can't stress enough, since your first cook includes special guests, don't chase dome temps. Most of us have been there done that.

I have the other guys cooker; it isn't unusual for temps to vary 10-15 degrees. I shoot for 220; but if it settles on 230-235 I'm okay with it.

Learn to drive without auto control first; you may find it isn't necessary. That's what happened to me.

I've found what works well for me on overnighters, is to start the grill a few hours before meat goes on. Sometimes meat doesn't go on until 10:00pm but I've started my grill at 6:00pm. Make sure you start with plenty of coal in too; you're not going to waste it. Starting fire early gives me 4 hours to get the temp settled where I want it, grill walls heat soaked, etc. and plenty time to convince myself "it's there" so I can sleep; if you can't stabilize temp in 4 hours sorry, you'll probably be up all night because you're chasing temps. When I put my meat on I don't change a thing; don't dare. It'll look like it's cooling, but chances are it's just the fact your dome was open and your meat is cold. But without adjustment, temp normally returns back to where it was.

Heating my grill I use gas attachment. Everything wide open (hat and door) Once coals start, I remove gas. Soon as temp hits 250 F. I dial hat down, and nearly close draft door. On mine, hat is just 1/4 turn open (just enough to where I can feel a little teeter-totter action of the hat on the threaded shaft) and draft door open maybe the thickness of a matchbook cover. Again, I have the other guys cooker so settings may be different.

Good luck.

Oh yea; I'm a mustard guy. Just regular old Frenches Yellow mustard. Give it a good coating; trust me, doesn't taste like mustard after it's cooked.

Learn to drive without auto control first; you may find it isn't necessary. That's what happened to me.

I agree with johnnyboy. When I ordered my KK, I was very close to punching the button on purchasing a Stoker. The only reason I didn't is I was going to wait 1 month for funds to be available for that. Turns out, my 2nd cook was a low and slow with a 9lb pork butt. Even though it was only my 2nd cook on the KK, I had absolutely no problems keeping it between 230 and 245 (I was aiming at about 235). That was so painless, I decided against buying the Stoker and I am still cooking without cruise control. It will surprise you at how easy it is to control the temps.

I'm going to do another 9lb butt for the 4th and will do my first overnighter. I think I'm going to try what johnnyboy stated about heatsoaking it for a few hours before putting the roast on, that sounds like a good idea. Johnnyboy, did you add wood when you add the meat or when you started the fire?

I use plain French's yellow mustard and a rub. You will not taste the mustard at all, it just cooks into this crunchy and extremely tasty bark. Finger food for the cook !!!

Good luck and enjoy your cook !!!

Johnnyboy wrote :

I've found what works well for me on overnighters, is to start the grill a

few hours before meat goes on. Sometimes meat doesn't go on until 10:00pm but I've started my grill at 6:00pm.

I do the same thing as Johnnyboy---with all the graduation parties lately I have been the " go to guy " for pulled pork at the grad parties. so if they need it at 5 i figure 12 hours for cooking and 2 hours wrapped in foil resting. I haven't missed yet and the Butts have been done between 10 and 12 hours at 225--235 I usually start the fire at 11 and go to bed --I get up at 3 and throw my smoking wood and meat in at the same time. They are done by2 or 3 that afternoon. I have the settings down to where I can dial the temp in and forget about it---it takes me around 15 to 20 min per Butt to pull it for service]

Bobvoeh asked:

Johnnyboy, did you add wood when you add the meat or when you started the fire?

Sorry, Wife doesn't care for smoke flavor, so I rarely add wood/smoke. Once in a while I'll sneak a piece of wood in (same time I put the meat on), but darn if she hasn't caught me every time. I'll first get the look, then I'll get the question. Then the bitching, I thought I told you .......bla, bla, bla... hehe-he