Firemonkey

Anyone done pig wings?

What a bunch of bunk...

Apparently, QVC is implying Paula Deen to be the inventor of pork wings, and made a deal with Deen and Smithfield to sell them. Precooked, and for about $10/lb.

I think I will use Al Gores invention to find myself a source for the ones produced by Farmland, and cook them myself.

BTW, the portion size on the QVC/Smithfield/PAula brand are huge - 7oz each piece. You get 16 for $65 :shock:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail

What a bunch of bunk...

Apparently, QVC is implying Paula Deen to be the inventor of pork wings, and made a deal with Deen and Smithfield to sell them. Precooked, and for about $10/lb.

I think I will use Al Gores invention to find myself a source for the ones produced by Farmland, and cook them myself.

BTW, the portion size on the QVC/Smithfield/PAula brand are huge - 7oz each piece. You get 16 for $65 :shock:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail

I wonder if Sysco carries them. Our cafe where I work is renovating right now. I think they will be back in 3 weeks. If we can't find any by then, they will get anything for me that Sysco carries, I can ask them. Maybe we will get lucky.

Aren't they ham hocks??? just not smoked and cured but the same part of the animal

Per the definition I found for them, they are ham shanks with some of the meat surrounding the bone left on...no skin and most of the fat removed. I am guessing maybe a bi-product of boneless hams or the likes. I would think you could make your own, though there would be a lot of waste since these are minus the skin and fat. But if you were buying shank ends for carnitas, you could leave some meat around the bone for pork wings.

-=Jasen=-

Boy you guys stay up late! I was busy around that time with something else. These are pork shanks, from a pretty small animal, we have done about 6 hog roasts this season so far and all the animals have been pretty small, around 60 to 80 lbs. It looks as if that is the size. you can bet I will look into this from my purveyor on Monday. I don't use Farmland anymore but am sure I can find some down in the marketplace. Generally the hind shanks like these are very lean, and when the hind leg(ham) is made boneless the skin is always removed. I will try to secure some of these and try them, although probably not berfore the 4th(yep another pig roast, this time on the beach near the harbor, great view of the fireworks!) if I can hide them from my Polish butcher! FYI the hocks are the ankle/wrist portion, just below the shank, think of the shank as the calf muscle of the hind leg, or the fore arm of the front leg.

" The purpose of this forum is not to promote business... " sorry wrong forum. Don't think I'll get into retail sales over the web just yet. You may have to approach your nearest meat market for this stuff. The next day shipping is a killer for perishable products.It can be done but very pricy.

Primeats wrote:

" The purpose of this forum is not to promote business... " sorry wrong forum.

I'm Sorry

Johnnyboy! Get UNsorry!

Primemeats was TEASING you about some restrictions placed on certain types of speech at Some Other Manufacturer's forum.

You know they one - you got kicked off twice. ;)

Unpout, Johnnyboy. :love2:

Pig Wings to Arrive Today

OK , I should get some shots of them today if the digital camera makes it to the shop . Really curious about this product, may have to experiment this weekend, purely for quality control and safety for the clientele. Anyone suggest a good brew or wine to go with the swine? Deej...?

I was able to get raw shanks from my favorite butcher by ordering them. Rather than going the above route, I made a dry-cure ham out of them, and smoked them, "replicating" the smoked ham shanks one can buy, but under my control.

Great for bean dishes, gumbo, ... Definitely worth the trouble, as is any house-cured ham. Making ham is much easier than curing salumi...

I did see these on the menu at a local bar and grill, so I ordered some to check them out. My impression was mixed; the item I received in the restaurant was horrible. They were way too tender, and finished with a nasty honey-terriyaki type bbq sauce. However, had they been finished on a grill, to give them some sear, and tooth, and dressed with an appropriate sauce they would have been nothing short of awesome. The meat had almost no connective tissue in it, just a good sized chunk of tender pork attached to the bone.

They werent cheap on the menu either - an appetizer consisting of 2 pieces was priced a bit over $8. I will still keep watch to find a local source, and cook them right!