Firemonkey

Anyone done pig wings?

Still frozen, hope to have some pics late this weekend or early next. Two pig roasts this weekend starting tomorrow at 4am. Serve at noon. Softball at 7, party at 8.got three theoretical butts on now, should be done about 4:00am, just in time to put the pig on the big cooker. Doing a corporate party and they only have 1 hour for lunch so I'm gonna have these butts pulled already for them to eat and then pull apart the pig while they're being served( I sometimes cheat!). This way everyone gets to see the pig( the one on the spit). Even I can't slice and dice a whole hog in time for 110 people on their lunch hour! I'm good but... Maybe Denise can snap some pics and I'll try to post them

usually in an open pit a smaller pig like this would take 12 hours easy. enclosed like this at temps around 300 it'll be done in a much shorter time. Also using much less charcoal. When done in an open pit figure around a pound of coal for every pound of the hog. I can get a 12 hour burn with as little as 40 lbs now in the cooker.

Here's the pig

gxVINtJ.jpg

Here's the rig

aVR6Akr.jpg

The butts from last nite

gxVJxSr.jpg

When the bone is this clean...!

aVR7aKA.jpg

And 125 ears of corn,minus the one I just ate!

gxVKkLi.jpg

These folks were very hungry, 100 people, 80 lb pig, 3 butts, 124 ears of sweet corn picked yesterday, 36lbs homemade potato salad, 15lbs baked beans----GONE, everything except for 3 ears of corn. I swear the best sweet corn I've had in some time, maybe the best, full ears,large ears, and so sweet you didn't need any butter(which we always provide a soup kettle full of to dip the ears) I however opted for the butter anyway. Being a native Iowan I think we have an innate sense for what constitutes good corn. And man was the pig good! But the butts were better, even with no rub at all!

Ok, now that I've hijacked Firemonkey's string and chronicled my "one day in the life of.." I'll return to the KC Wildwings topic. After looking at the label on the box, these things came to me "pre-basted" with up to 30% of a basting solution including " ham flavor?" So I'm guessing they'll be a tad bit salty.I'll post the pics and explain how these " wings" are made later as soon as my eyes focus properly.

After 2.5 hours @ 225 , I took them off. Brought them down to the sailing beach for all to sample( the spicy ones turned out the best) Thinking they would be very salty..not really, the texture was that of a cured product though, maybe if I'd have gone 3 or 3.5 hours they would have a better texture. Not that they weren't very tender, oh yes, and rave reviews from all. The Korean chili sauce that is usually too hot for me straight was incredible, since they were already "pumped up" the chili sauce was kinda spicy but not overwhelming. I would try it with real chicken wings sometime.Pics to follow:

But first, the finished product from Friday:

aV10dy7J.jpg

My lovely assistant Kathleen

gx16dW99.jpg

All lined up to put on Godzilla before sauce, but wait, there is one sauce missing...

aV10e62J.jpg

Oh yeah baby this'll curl yer toes!

aV10envJ.jpg

These are shanks from the front legs,only one bone showing because they split them in order to get a product that can be easily bbq'd, then probably vacuum pumped with the basting solution.

a>

Kelly is waiting for Daddy to drop something, or for one to get within jumping distance from her mouth!

gx16eO1i.jpg

On the grill waiting to get sauced!

aV10f2V9.jpg

"That's Hot!"

gx16fbYJ.jpg

2.5 hours later...

aV10fkn9.jpg

Perfect

aV10frRA.jpg

aV10fzl0.jpg

aV10fEki.jpg

Primeats! Nice pig roaster!!

Especially liked the chicken wire wrap. Great idea.

But, how about the apple?? :lol: Missed seeing that.

Last whole pig the family did. The roaster we used; instead of the long spit spikes that insert/hold pig in place, was essentially a cage like the KK roti accessory where the pig was secured inside. Worked out great.

Just curious if you've ever used that style?

Can't wait to get my EZQUE basket, every time I use the chicken wire I cut the S**t out of my hands and arms if I don't use my welders gloves. I left them off this time to show my wife how pain full it can be. Gotta convince her to get the basket, we always try to do things ourselves(like try to make our own basket) but this is something that is a little beyond my fabrication skills, and not very cost effective either. Hey I managed to buy the KK so it shouldn't be too hard to finagle a $900 purchase for the business! By the way John, the RAGBRAI folks went past my sisters place in Morley, they ended up in LeClaire, did you get to see the multitude of cyclists?

More bicycles than I've ever seen

Well, maybe not, if I consider Amsterdam.

But yes, Ragbrai ended in our town. With every bicycleist having to dip their tire in the Mississippi. Was great as the riders meeting their rides home at the campground were diverted right past my house! Some big teams too! and some very odd looking bicycles.

Was fun to watch as I was setting up the yard for 5pm wedding. Thank goodness most of Ragbrai was finished by 3pm.

Not so fun for pre wedding deliveries; as the 4 minute drive from the freeway to my house became an hour and half with all the traffic!!!!

Pretty crazy for a one stop light town, and volunteer fire dept. But they all did great.