tcoliver

The Moment You've All Been Waiting For

Ok, I picked up my new KK this afternoon. At first I was very concerned as when the forklift driver picked it up it was wobling from side to side in the crate and there was a board that looked damaged:

DSC01524.jpg

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01516.jpg

DSC01526.jpg

I carefully inspected the tiles at the terminal and found no damage so I accepted it and just hoped everything inside was in one piece:

DSC01513.jpg

Once I got it home I was pleasantly surprised that everything was in perfect condition.

Here I am uncrating the beast:

DSC01520.jpg

DSC01522.jpg

And here is my ramp made of the crate wood to get it from my tailgate to the den to the back porch:

DSC01527.jpg

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01529.jpg

Here are all the parts carefully packaged:

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

Here is the final resting place, time for a bigger deck. I can't believe how much bigger this thing is than my K7:

DSC01541.jpg

DSC01542.jpg

And here is my first cook, BTW in case you were wondering kids taste like chicken:

DSC01534.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

I must say I am thrilled with the quality, the upgrades and the workmanship of this product. When I first ordered I wondered if it really was worth all the effort of selling my K7 and going through all that I did to move another 600lb. cooker. I must admit it was WELL worth it. This grill is absolutely a beast. Lots of cooking space and as heavy duty as it gets. I have to tell you the easy open lid is worth it in itself. No more rediculous prop tubes and T-bars. Waaaahhhooooo!!!! The polder tube is an awesome upgrade, no more cutting the seal to get the wires across the lid. The top damper is very cool, just a few turns up and down, Dennis even thought to put a cotter pin in the bottom so you can't accidently turn it all the way off and have it fall to the ground. There are two ears on the top so you can easily turn it. How cool is that.

DSC01544.jpg

I also have to say the beefy ceramic cart makes it look a whole lot better than the weak one the K7 had. Dennis even thought to package a tool to adjust the spring AND a repair kit for the tiles just in case. That is attention to detail that way if there is a mishap you can fix it immediately and not have to beg and wait for a repair kit to be sent several months later. The pizza stone is awesome too, the thing is thick as hell. All in all everything is just as advertised and I am as pleased as can be. I am also exhasted from the uncrating process but wanted to post these pictures. Dennis congratulations on manufacturing a great product. Unfortunately I don't have time to cook anything but that is coming and there will be more pictures. All I can say is that if your on the fence, get off and take the plunge. You'll be thrilled you did.

Tony

He put ears on it too? :lol::lol:

Great post man, that should be the first requirement for all new owners. I'll do mine when the time comes.

Dude, that was messed up making your wife lift the 600 lb thingee while you took pics :shock:

And then trying to slow cook the kids :lol: They ain't goats ya know :roll:

i thot the damper top might have "ears", but couldn't tell for sure from the site photos.

seems silly, but i REALLY like the pic you took of the concealed castors in the legs. can't wait to get mine and do a side-by-side with kong.

i can't begin to tell you how jealous i am right now! i expect 4th of July pics of your celebratory cook for the holiday. i will be making do...

gotta go baste the children... :twisted:

bigger, how?

Tony,

I have been lurking here for a few weeks and am considering taking the plunge myself, so I read your post with great interest and look forward to hearing more about your experiences with your new KK (as well as those of others awaiting arrival).

You mentioned that you were surprised at how much larger the KK is than the K #7. In what dimensions is it larger - e.g more cooking area? ... taller?. I'm particulary interested in how much space there is "under the hood." From the photos, it looks as though the dome is not as tall as that on the K #7, but since the grate is mounted lower in the base, maybe this compensates?

I hope you're enjoying your KK... I'm jealous.

Greg

GregR, your comments about dome height made me go look...

From the photo on the homepage of the main site, http://www.komodokamado.com/ both grills seem the same overall height unless the photo has been manipulated for symmetry. It looks like the dome of the OTB may be slightly shorter but the base looks taller. It also appears that the bottom of the base is considerably closer to the ground since the legs are shorter. I wonder if any of these observations are true.

OTB Larger than K7

I was talking about the cooking surface. The design of the OTB makes the dome and overall grill width a lot wider than the K7. It takes up a lot more space on my deck. As Gerard says you have to stack two kids in a K7 but can fit them side by side in an OTB. I can't really tell if the dome is the same height but I know the overall grill height is the same as I had to take carefull measurements of both to get them in and out of my garage while in the back of my pickup, they both just barely made it. As you say the grill is placed lower so I would imagine that the dome height would be the same or higher. Actually, come to think of it the KK was on a pallet so it may be shorter overall than the K. I will learn more as I cook some turkeys as they usually take up the most height. I know I can definately get more food on surface wise. I'll keep posting pictures.

Dont forget the wheels

The KK has recessed wheels...so it is giving back probably 3 inches in overall height to the K.

I agree that the KK-OTB, since it is designed with a flat dome top appears to be shorter. Though I think you will find that you also have alot more functional space to cook with.

Re: Dont forget the wheels

The KK has recessed wheels...so it is giving back probably 3 inches in overall height to the K.

I agree that the KK-OTB, since it is designed with a flat dome top appears to be shorter. Though I think you will find that you also have alot more functional space to cook with.

I was getting more to the question of vertical space under the dome for two-tiered cooking or, as Tony alluded to, a turkey.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.