johnnyboy

Charcoal "Tines" waste of time?

NakedWhiz, you can probably best answer this.

Yesterday went to sear some steaks. Had some unusued coals left over from last cook, so topped it off with the remainder of a charcoal bag, small stuff; I guess that's what they call tines?

Anyway, was surprised I couldn't get my grill above 500 F. Even before steaks went on, half of the charcoal had already burned up.

Does this sound normal for tines? Not to get as hot as larger pieces? And burn up much faster.

Fines - Great for Low n Slow

But save those fines as after you fill your bowl with standard sized chunks you can toss in a hand-full or two and jiggle the basket just a tad..

As they fall down into the mound, they lodge here and there between the larger pieces connecting/bridging them together.

This will ensure an even steady burn from piece to piece.

If the lager pieces don't quite touch they might now light each other. Just my 8¢

;);)

Re: Fines - Great for Low n Slow

Beechwood?

Nope....no beechwood anywhere near any of the beer I drink. Maybe if some drift wood washed up on beach and I sat a beer on it for a minute...that would be the closest thing to beach wood aging I get.

Actually I think maybe Dennis was trying for charcoal filtering his lager? :roll:

-=Jasen=-