Baby Huey

First Cook on the KK - Brisket

I have had my Classic KK for over a week now and I have finally gotten around to putting some pics up ;). For my first cook on the KK I decided to try and cook a brisket (having never done a brisket before).

I was unable to find a packer's cut of brisket, so I ended up with a 7 pound flat that fortunately still had a decent amount of fat on the bottom of it. The night before cooking I gave it a very healthy application of Dizzy Dust (thanks to everybody here for recommending the fabulous Dizzy Pig rubs!). My goal was to cook at about 230 degrees for however long it took, I was in no rush.

Unfortunately, my dome thermometer did not arrive by the time I was ready to cook (mostly UPS' fault), and my meat thermometer only has one probe. Therefore, in order to check the dome temperature I would periodically insert an instant-read thermometer, this was of course less than ideal but certainly not a show stopper. I did have a hard time keeping the dome temp under 300 degrees (the top damper was barely cracked and the bottom damper was only open a sliver). I was a little worried because the meat got through the 160-170 plateau point much quicker than expected. When the internal temperature reached 185 I decided it was time to see how it was looking (I had managed to resist the urge to open it up until this point). Upon inspection of the meat I realized that I had angled the thermometer probe more than I should have and it was not in the middle of the meat. After re-adjusting the probe, and taking a few samples with my trusty Thermapen, I found the temperature to be about 166 degrees. I was quite relieved about this because as it turns out I didn't miss out on the magic plateau! In the end it took about 8 hours of cook time to get to 190 degrees. At that point I quickly wrapped it in foil and put it in the fridge covered with ice packs (thanks to Drunk_J for the idea). While I was waiting for the internal temperature to drop to the 160's I grilled several ears of corn still in the husk on the grill (the corn had been soaking under water for about an hour).

Not to toot my own horn, but the brisket was absolutely fantastic! Next time I think I will cook it a few degrees less, but the [hickory] smoke flavor was wonderful and it was still plenty juicy.

As a side note I ordered a DigiQ II today :wink:

Unfortunately, I didn't take an pictures of the prep work, but here is the finished product:

aV1k9Ffr.jpg

Look... my first smoke ring :D

aV1k9KeJ.jpg

Here is a pic of some chicken I cooked a couple days later. I used the Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin rub and it turned out smoky and delicious.

gx1H5KxJ.jpg

Dude, that looks beautiful! I am actually surprised at how moist looking that thing is being only a flat! Very nice.

BTW, if you want something a little different tasting, make up rub based on what is commonly called poultry blend spices. It is an interesting twist if your a fan of rosemary and sage. I believe Stubb's rub (commercial brand) is also a rosemary rub if you don't want to make it up yourself.

Also glad you liked the quick cool down trick at the end. I do believe that greatly aides in holding in more moisture.

-=Jasen=-

Re: First Cook on the KK - Brisket

The night before cooking I gave it a very healthy application of Dizzy Dust (thanks to everybody here for recommending the fabulous Dizzy Pig rubs!).

They are good, aren't they? I've yet to find one that I don't like!

Awesome first brisket! Is that your first brisket ever, or just on the KK?

Bobvoeh wrote:

On the 4th, I'm doing another pork butt. After that my next low and slow is going to be a brisket.

Try both at the same time; butt over brisket. That's awesome.

Butt on Upper Grill, Brisket on Main Grill?

Butt on Upper Grill' date=' Brisket on Main Grill?[/quote']

Yup, that's the way. Butt drips porky goodness and moisturizes the brisket.

Life is good. :)

Well, I just may have to run by BJ's wholesale, they had a crap load of bricket flats last time I was there.

check out the briskets too :lol::lol:

Yea, the lightbulb guy; that's what I'm talkin' bout'

Sanny wrote and has me LMBO:

Dunno about where YOU come from, J-boy, but that's just not DONE hereabouts... Won't go havin none of THAT kinda thing, now. Hear?

You should try it Sanny! You might like it!! Both finish nearly the same time...... Honestly, I did it. :wtg: