mungeti

First Beef Cook w/ baby backs

The postings on the forum have helped me significantly in the trying out the new KK. I have also fixed my camera, so I believe you wil see better pix. That stated, I believe Sanny mention cooking pork butts ( | ) over the brisket to help keep it moist. Well I decided to modify that a bit and instead cook baby backs over a beef bottom round. I also decided to take Firemonkey's suggestion for Mustard Goo and made a few modifications to it.... My mstard basting goo has:

1 part reg mustard

1 Part Dijon Mustard

1 Part Aunt Jemima Butter Rich Syrup

gx28NZ89.jpg

The syrup took just a bit of the tang sharpness away.

The ribs I made I had 8 chuncks of hickory... A bit too much for my wife on smoke flavor. All that said... the 12# Beef Bottom Round I took out at 163 degrees. I brought the baby backs off at the same time.. The ribs were nearly perfect and the bottom round was nearly flawless. Juicy is the word. I put it in the freezer for 45 minutes and sliced for dinner... I will throw some pix for your purview. Hope e1 had a great holiday. Tim

PqPDxs9.jpg

aV1IL9oi.jpg

gx28OaBS.jpg

gx28OkAr.jpg

gx28Os3S.jpg

gx28OExA.jpg

gx28OJwS.jpg

PqPE2T0.jpg

Those look great! How long and at what temp did you cook the bottom round? I don't do nearly as many dry roasts as I should, and I always find myself considering a big top or bottom round roast when I am at the store. Slice it thin for sandwiches...PIT BEEF for the Marylanders among us :D

Cook Time

I cooked everything at 230 - 240 degrees F for about 6 hours. I put in 8 chuncks of hickory... Too much for the wife... I am thinking 4 chunchs provides a nice element of smoke. I made my fire per recommendations.... Prestarted and got the temp under control before starting which also worked well.