Jackie from Jersey

How many servings from 9lb bone-in pork butt?

I usually figure half a pound per person, pork butts shrink a little bit so I would figure about 12 oz per person. You are right there! A little too close for comfort for me, if I remember correctly Duroc has a bit more fat anyway. Why not roast a chicken along with it(obviously not for 12 hours). You can't get a plain old pork butt? Nice way to do a comparison! As far as a low and slow right after a high grilling, could be tricky right away, but if you let it cool with the lid open before trying to get the coal lit again you should be OK--I've never done it so someone else will have to be more definitive. Good luck

Re: How many servings from 9lb bone-in pork butt?

Other question: If you grill at high temperatures, how long before you can do a slow cook? Figured we can't do steak saturday nite & then do an overnite pork butt for sunday, right?

Thanks for the expert info.

Not sure if it's expert info but it should be easily do able?

The KK holds it temp very well (which is good) but if you do a high temp grill (600-700?) it should reach that very quickly at which time you cook your steaks i.e. about an hour from start (fire up the KK) to finish (remove your steaks)??). 8)

After grilling the steaks just close the bottom vents and "almost" close the top one you'll find the temps drop to more slower temps very quickly (around 225-250) and you can do a low and slow. Ensure that you loaded enough coals at the start and obviously don't allow the temps to go rampant (those 1000+ temps :eek: ).

If you intend to put the low and slow on a few hours after the steaks are done and consumed (take some time to enjoy dinner) there really shoudn't be an issue!

:D

As far as a low and slow right after a high grilling' date=' could be tricky right away, but if you let it cool with the lid open before trying to get the coal lit again you should be OK--I've never done it so someone else will have to be more definitive. Good luck[/quote']

:?

Umm, if you try to let it "cool" with the lid open and there are still coals alight you'll get a runaway BBQ including lovely 1000+ temps... no low and slow :P

Maybe I misunderstood? :(

Can't get a plain ole butt anywhere near where I live. Was at Costco today & didn't see anything. Then I tried Whole Foods, Stop & Shop, & Shoprite. And this is why I order beef & some pork from Lobels. Maybe my son can find one in the city. There are certainly more meat stores than Lobels there. Ah, the advantage of city living. Food around every corner. Still like the country, though.

Rather than push it, maybe we should just have fish saturday nite instead of steak. Then there will be no temperature issue. And the chicken as a second main on sunday is a thought. Thanks!

If Costco is anything like Sam's club, you have to usually ask for the boston butts (at least here you do).

Also, there really is no issue with the steaks, then a low/slow in my opinion. I cook steaks on the sear grill with the lid open the entire time. That way it cooks hot and fast which does not allow the grill to become heat soaked. Close the grill up tight and by the time you finish eating dinner, the coals should be out and the overall grill temp down close to low/slow temps.

I think 1/2 pound per person sounds right on pulled pork, but I figure that on cooked meat not raw. On a boston butt I would count on at least a 25% loss (being safe go with a third). Certainly more on a shoulder. So that would work out close with sides provided they are not big eaters. But to be safe, you could always toss on a couple racks of ribs with the boston butt.

-=Jasen=-

Can't get a plain ole butt anywhere near where I live. Was at Costco today & didn't see anything.

You sure? Costco around here (south of you in NJ) always has lots of butts. They're labeled "pork shoulder" I believe. Cryovac in a two pack. Never have I been and not seen them.

Maybe go and ask the meat guy. I bet they do have them back there somewhere. Do ask. Hate to be buttless for your party!

Jackie, finally getting the copper roof on eehh? Nice, we want to see it when it's finished.

I agree, no problem searing steaks followed by low and slow. Butts cook so long anyway it doesn't hurt to start it a little warm. Adding cold butt will also help absorb the heat.

One thing not mentioned I do is, after searing/cooling, before the low-slow I shake the ash off the coals then top them off.

Include a good ol' batch of baked beans with bacon, a big potato/macroni salad, and I think you'll have enough. If worried, you can easily add a few racks of ribs near the end of the but cook.