Porkchop

Contemplating the Chuck Roll...

having some leftovers from the deep freeze. pulled beef ala chuck roll. speaking as a long-time brisket cooker, i can't get over how much more i like the chuck roll pull better than chopped beef.

brisket cookers on this board need to give the chuck roll a try! it is good stuff! now back to my lunch...

ahem. to steer this right, the following pic, a full packer trim brisket

brisketselect1.jpg

should have weighed between 8-13 lbs. it's real thick at one end, and thinner at the other. if your brisket had a uniform thickness and was 5-8 lbs, it was probably just the flat.

IN FACT, a really great resource for how to cook and serve brisket at the following address:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html#prepping

i NEVER did any fat trimming at the restaurant, but we did separate the point from the flat post-cook as shown on the site. that's what i found disagreeable. cleaning that brisket post-cook was a greasy, messy, hot job. the seam between the point and flat is full of nasty unrendered fat, with big ol' veins running thruout. noone wants veins in their nice sliced or chopped beef sammich! so you can't skip that part by just leaving the point on there and just slicing down thru both point and flat together... yuck!

very little of that nonsense with the chuck roll. but then, if you only did the flat of the brisket, you didn't have to deal with all that mess...