leejp

Me too... it's here!!

My OTB Supreme Cobalt Blue was part of the "Murphy" shipment that had to be shipped back to Indonesia. When the cooker finally got here, it was stuck in customs for 2 weeks and then we also had a bit of trucking issue (carrier would not accept delivery of a crate that's not fully sealed) for another 1-1/2 week delay.

I finally took delivery of my OTB Supreme on Tuesday and uncrated it... Minor damage... mine has a broken nose like Mike's... it'll shortly be repaired. Otherwise it's a thing of beauty... the mechanical/functional bits are "engineered"... and the artsy-fartsy bits are hand crafted. It's a perfect marriage. No contest between the OTB and my Kamado #7. We're talking Seal Teams vs Mall Cops here.

Been raining buckets since then... (see the floods in the NorthEast on the news? that's us). Seems fitting... I hope I paid all my bad luck taxes up front with this cooker ;). Here are the uncrating pics (more to follow):

the truck that delivered it:

78456370-M.jpg

packaging (with a few boards removed)

78552116-M.jpg

Uh...oh...

78456378-M.jpg

The plywood retaining the top of the cooker is off it's nail

78456398-M.jpg

Other side...

78456405-M.jpg

Top of the crate... (shows the rentention pieces of plywood off)

78456410-M.jpg

The cause... cooker wasn't strapped down properly and slipped off the block it was sitting on. The cooker probably teeter tottered back and forth and probably banged it's nose against the crate several times until the tiles fell off.

78456421-M.jpg

Thankfully, the broken nose is the only damage... Beautiful otherwise

78456440-M.jpg

And for yucks and giggles.... Here's what was rendered out of the crating. With 2 little ones, cars... every nail has to be accounted for during the uncratingso I was careful and took my time (in reality I'm really cheap and throw almost nothing away...there's useful lumber in there):

78456434-M.jpg

More yucks and giggles.... Here's my Kamado #7 packaging... Looks bad but the #7 did arrive safely. Even with what appears to be "seat of the pants" packaging, I would give this round to the Mall Cops (but then again... it only had to travel from CA to NY).

78552115-M.jpg

Overall I'm thrilled... Now here's where the customer service makes a real difference. From the time the order was in to delivery, my Sacramento #7 was actually faster (ordered 01 September 2003 arrived 25 November 2003) and arrived damage free. My OTB Supreme was "ordered" (Dennis actually emailed to "accept" the order... he wanted to make sure that the OTB Supreme was ready before he built one for me) on 03/19/06 and arrived 06/27/06 with a broken nose. I should be happier with the Sacramento-K experience right? Wrong... although the cooker did arrive earlier, I felt completely left out out of the loop in the process... the usual, phone calls don't get returned, conflicting stories from different folks (I guess I didn't have platnum status with the Kamado company)... whereas every email I sent to dennis was returned within 48hrs and I was informed of exactly what was going on with my cooker.

I'll have a break in report and initial impressions after the weekend. I'm feeding 30 folks... a big boston butt, a brisket and 6 racks of baby backs.

positive forum posts

This is great hearing details about arrivals, how happy the buyer is, the supportive comments from the other forum participants, and more than favorable comparison/evaluation of the product and the service. :D It seems clear to me which bbq is the better choice. :P

Post pics of your repair

Our damage is very similar and from Tony's post looks like his crate failed in the same way but he teetered the other way and the less sturdy nose was spared. I need some step by step directions on the repair as I am unskilled labor.

Dennis, looks like a crating adjustment is in order.

She sure is beautiful..keep the pictures coming..(ok I need to post some)

Re: Nose Guard?

Yup' date=' I guess Dennis is gonna have to come up with a nose guard - hehe. Nator, we are waiting on the pics bubba! I must say that the tools from image shack really made my pic posting a lot easier - thanks again Mike for that info!-=Jasen=-[/quote']

image shack is a great (can't beat free) but I use smugmug in combination with send to smugmug.

http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=DbOU18Jth68mA (note this IS a referral link - full disclosure)

http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/My ... dToSmugMug

Smugmug is absolutely the best photo hosting service IMHO. The $40/year ives me a piece of mind (remote backup) and saves me a lot of aggrevation. I upload FULL size SHQ JPGs (family/friends can actually DL the original) and they create several gallery sizes for me. Each gallery can be password protected and absolutely no spam/banner ads/pop-ups...

What I can't stand are the "pyramid" sites that make family/friends sign up for a membership to view your galleries.

Hey Dennis... how about a "lounge" area for off-topic discussion?

Re: Post pics of your repair

Our damage is very similar and from Tony's post looks like his crate failed in the same way but he teetered the other way and the less sturdy nose was spared. I need some step by step directions on the repair as I am unskilled labor.

Dennis, looks like a crating adjustment is in order.

She sure is beautiful..keep the pictures coming..(ok I need to post some)

I received my OTB last week. I talked to Dennis about the neck piece popping out (did on mine too, but luckily no tile damage). I think it's a product of the black foam pad compressing during shippment...thus with the twisting of the crate creates enough of a gap to pop the neck out. Only issue besides that one with my delivery was that my OTB was missing 3 bolts on the lid (a new step in QC coming per Dennis)...not major bolts..as 2 were already there and holding the lid on just fine. Great experience overall...Dennis is the man!

now let's get that lump charcoal vaccuumed up and start the shipping!

K

really! you've had it for A WEEK and no pics!!! i've seen the webpage, man! you know your way around a camera! please, PLEASE tell me you've cooked on it since receiving it. not getting something on the grill the day you get it in is like making your bride sleep on the couch on your wedding night!!!

really! you've had it for A WEEK and no pics!!! i've seen the webpage' date=' man! you know your way around a camera! please, PLEASE tell me you've cooked on it since receiving it. not getting something on the grill the day you get it in is like making your bride sleep on the couch on your wedding night!!![/quote']

The only pics I took of it is it sitting in the back of my wife's pickup...still in it's crate :)

...I REALLY want to use it...but we are planning a move to CO in the next few months and kinda want to keep it crated up...of course, I can probably just pop the top off the crate and start grilling like it is ..hmmmmmm

work calls....I'll try to remember to post pics after a bit. good chance there will be a link to my pics from my website...kumar.cruiezer.net when I"m done. Rather than hijacking this thread too awfully badly, I'll update my original thread where I mentioned that I ordered it :)

later,

k