Jackie from Jersey

No fireworks this time...

JJ,

Have you tried a dwell with your steak? Get your fire roaring and do the sear on each side, then shut it all down (all dampers closed) and let it sit for a few minutes (5 - 10) till done. You can open and use an instant read (Thermapen or equiv) to measure temp (or if you are not me, you can use your experience with the feel). Just be careful when opening during the dwell - FLASHBACK is possible!:muffy:

Jackie - O

My imagination is sooo vivid.... Mmmmmmmm :lol: All kidding aside, sounds very good. I would love to try a pizza on the KK. I am not sure I would try the one you did as My wife is a bit picky.... However, if you or someone would not mind sending some picts with instructions I sure would not mind trying it out... I have my wife warming up to the KK. She still gives me regular"crapola" to our friends and neighbors about my purchase. However, the kids have definitely warmd up to it... And, I think my cooking skills on it are novice at best. The cooks I have done so far have been a result of what you all have wrote about here in the forum.. Thanks for the post Jackie...

Pizza

mungeti,

I use the deflector on the lump basket and the pizza stone on the upper grill sitting on the main grill (as high in the dome as possible).

Preheat to 500 - 700 for at least 1/2 hour or longer if possible. I usually see 450+ temps on the stone (IR thermometer)

Make sure your lump basket is sitting flat, if the heat deflector is not flat you will get a hot side on your pizza. Check and turn (if necessary) after 3-4 mins. Total time, from 5 to 10 mins depending on lots of factors.

Use parchment paper under your pizza to make foolproof transfers from your peel (or lip-less cookie sheet) to the stone, after 1 or 2 minutes, pull the parchment paper out.

If the stone is not hot enough the top will finish before the bottom.

Give it a try, it's one of our favorites on the KK!

'nuther thing about pizza

If the stone or deflector is too big, the bottom will burn before the top is cooked. Friend got a stone for his grill (electric grill, but we won't think about that), and put a stone on it. There's very little space between the walls of the cooker and the outside of the stone. So, the stone gets nice and hot, but there's little dome heat, especially when one opens the top to put the pizza on. All the dome heat escapes, and it can't reheat in time to cook the top of the pizza before the bottom blackens.

It's not pretty.

It's an Infrared thermometer. I have this one. Make sure you get one for high temps!

Probably a dumbo question but what do you measure? :?

I have a thermapen for meat temps (inside) and I have either my dome temperature and my stoker/guru pit probe to measure the BBQ temps. What would the IR thermometer add?

PS Thinking of getting one anyway because it IS a gadget so... 8)

IR thermometers are for measuring surface temps. If you want to see how hot your gasser gets and compare to how cool the KK is, an IR thermometer is great. There are cheap ones that average over a large area (I have one that has a field of view about 45 degrees out of what I'm pointing at), but the good ones spot check from a distance like a laser pointer.

Edit: I've got the PE-1 here

wouldn't the "surface" temp of the grill be the same as the ambient KK temp??

The grill should be close to the ambient (more or less, there's also issues about thermal conductivity but we'll ignore that for now :)), when I said "surface" I meant more of a solid surface like the outside tiles. Measuring a grill (even a hefty 3/8" grill) is tough with these things. For the most part they average a few square inches of surface. If mine is 8" away it will measure a 8"x8" area (but it's a cheap one), their better one will measure a 1"x1" area at about 8".