hbob

What to use for curing period

I see from the PDF manual I just received, it is recommended to

warm up the grill for 24 hours at 200 degrees. Can briquettes be used for that since they burn cooler? Any ideas on what to cook that low and slow, or should I just let it be warm and wait till I can fire it up for real?

Personally I wouldn't use briquettes, they're mostly fillers and binders that may leave a residue all over the inside of the cooker (think of it as burning glue). They're also less able to be controlled as they're usually designed for rapid lighting and getting to grilling temps quickly. Some cheap lump like Cowboy would be much better, but something a bit better like Royal Oak is a great investment - especially if you intend to cook for your break-in. If you haven't already, check out The Naked Whiz' lump reviews.

Pork butt seems to be one of the most common first cooks for a break in.

Re: What to use for curing period

warm up the grill for 24 hours at 200 degrees. Can briquettes be used for that since they burn cooler? Any ideas on what to cook that low and slow, or should I just let it be warm and wait till I can fire it up for real?

Most people here go for a boston butt on there first cook since it is very forgiving to someone learning the controls.

I don't see why briquettes could not be used (thought they will create a lot more ash). But your only talking for your first cook firing anyway..right? No idea how long it will last, but a load of royal oak lump will go the full 24 hours in the 225 range.

-=Jasen=-

Whoops. I thought you didn't have to do low temperature to cure anymore. Does that mean I did something bad to my kooker?

I believe all of Dennis' newest generation cookers have all been pre-fired at the factory. That was only a recommendation on some of the previous models.....but not a necessity.

-=Jasen=-

I thought that's what I read. I would do myself in if I screwed something up. When I read this' date=' it made me think of my just noticed slight smoke leak by the KO on Komodo under the front latch/handle. I thought maybe I DID IT by not curing. But I assumed pre-fired meant that I didn't have to. So, do I just let a barely noticeable smoke leak go or tweak it & make it worse?[/quote']

Unless a smoke leak is bad enough to effect extinguishing your grill or temp control, then it is pretty much pointless to adjust since it is not hurting anything.

-=Jasen=-

The grill took longer to cool last night' date=' but I thought possibly the fibrament stone/deflector was maintaining the temperature because that was the only different thing I had done. I'll have to check the next time I use the grill. I know leakage was associated with older models, but mine is only a couple of months old & has the new gasket assembly.[/quote']

The grill is going to stay hot for a long time due to thermal mass. But you should be able to cook, shut it down and come back 30 or so minutes and not have any glowing coals anymore. That was what I meant by extinguishing. Small smoke leaks are not a problem.

-=Jasen=-

Frequently a new grill will need a few lid adjustments as it settles in to get an optimal seal. Luckily this is a pretty easy process and shouldn't need to be done much after the initial break in period.

Not that this still cannot happen some, but for about a year now, Dennis has been pre-crushing the gaskets to help compensate for settling.

-=Jasen=-

Hi Harley,

Your OTB is a V/R3 Supreme and was fully broken in at the factory..

Your ready to go..

Only the old classics or V/R1 OTB's need curing. Nothing built in the last 2 years.

Can briquettes be used for that since they burn cooler?

Don't use briquettes for anything. They'll just make you sad. Taste nasty, leave lots of ash, smell bad.

I take that back - Gramma used to keep a couple in a bowl in the refrigerator, to absorb odors. I guess that's ok.

Lump or Dennis' new extruded will make you happy. :happy8:

I don't think there is any reason not to use natural briquettes like Wicked Good Charcoal's. All they contain is charcoal and a starch binder. The amount of starch binder necessary to make them stick together generates the large amount of ash (although, I have tested lump that made more ash than the WGC briquettes), but I have never noticed a bad smell from natural briquettes.

Now Kingsford's new briquettes with "Sure Fire" grooves are another story. They give off incredibly burning irritating smoke while they are lighting. I would never advise anyone to take a deep lung full as it would be quite nasty. You used to be able to take a nice whiff of the old Kingsford but the new stuff is highly irritating.

Speaking of K'ford, I noticed they are selling briquettes in a retro sort of bag, now. I had thought it might be like Coke Classic, that they brought the old briquettes back, but nope they are still the new "Sure Fire" briquettes.