Saucier

Chuck Rolling

Well, I had to try this chuck roll thing...

I got a 16 pounder from Sam's Club. It looked pretty lean.

I put it on at 8:00 last night @ 200. Slathered with mouse-turd and sprinkled with Tony's was the only prep done.

12 hours later it was at 152 or so. I cranked it up to 260 or so, and 230 it was @ 190.

Pulled it off, gave it a foil shirt and a terry cloth jacket in an igloo coffin for a 4 hour rest.

Have not pulled it yet... Will disclose the results.

Here is what it looked like coming off the cooker..

chuckrolljl8.jpg

Sanny

The pic you saw was not the right one, Image shack is acting up.. The one posted now is correct for your drooling pleasure...

Our guests canceled out last minute... Wanna come over? We will prepare the guest suite for an overnighter if you want.. Lil martini action too!!

They look leaner than they are ;)

The meat is awesome once you pull it. While there is a decent amount of fat layered through this big monster, I find the finished pull, after you discard the fat, to be extremely tender, and less "wet" with fat than pork. Its not dry by any stretch, but just not as greasy as pulled pork is.

Sanny, you have to try one if you haven't. Maybe another fence party? Ill give you my address to send the crew :D

So, lets see the end result!

Woah

Woah... This was friggin GREAT!!

FM you were right!

Bye Bye Brisket!!

What an awesome cut for the KK. It pulled just like a butt when done, but less fat. I only ended up with a couple handfuls at worst... Started 16 lbs, ended 9lb6.

That mustard slather is a super bark maker too. The bark was tangy and flavorful. You would not be able to tell its mustard at all ( I don't like it). I didn't let my wife see me prep it, and after the first wonderful bite of bark I queried her as to what she thought it was done with, and she would not believe it was mustard LOL..

I have read some think that brisket has a "beefier" flavor, I would submit this is more likely peculiar to the particular roast you have then the cut in general.

This roast had a deep beef / oak flavor to die for.. The beef flavor was singing a heavenly trio :angel12: with the oak & mustard slather.

Also reading some think that low & slow is not necessary, I would further submit that this down home flavor, the one that makes you close your eyes a little and grin (even when alone) is specifically derived from the low & slow process as opposed to high heat. Kind of like a glass of Gentleman Jack in a crystal glass. :wynar: It can be made fast too, and its passable... But there is room for improvement :D

I will be doing more of these in the near future! My wife suggested if she showed up at work with one of these, she might get promoted! LOL

If all they have are big ones, you can cut them into smaller roasts and freeze for later. Someone (leejp?) posted some time ago that he had been doing just that, and was cooking some as small as 5-10# if i recall correctly.

I went the other route, and cooked it whole. I decided food-savered bags of finished product were better, since the wife is severely challenged in the kitchen. This way, she can make anything from roast beef, with potatoes and gravy to quesadillas out of it

18 hour chuck

I will echo what has been said several times here and elsewhere; pulled chuck is spectacular and a worthy challenger to pulled pork. As Firemonkey has stated, it is drier than pulled pork but not dried out by any means, and as tender as you can imagine. I did about a six pounder at 218 degrees and it took 18 hours!! Damn Sam, it good. If you like, you can try U.S. Wellness meats, they are grass fed and I like them a lot. They have a big roast pack, not all chuck:

Box 40A - Variety Roasts - 27 lbs.

For the health savvy pot roast gourmet . . . 9 flavor tingling grass-fed roasts. 3 chuck roasts, 3 center cut shoulder roasts and 3 bottom round roasts. The flavor will make you smile!

Price: $182.00

Here's their site:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

They have a lot of other foods too.

again

Did two chuck roasts for Mother's Day. Marinated for about 30 hours in Allegro Marinade, then cooked at 200 degrees for 13 hours. It came out spectacular, again. I'm thinking there is no need to cook this to 180 degrees or higher. My guess is that once you pass 6 hours, then pull the meat any temp of 140 or higher. I'll try this and report back. I have a feeling it will be tender enough after 6 hours. Stand by...

pull temp

OK, I did a center cut shoulder roast. It is a part of the chuck. Anyway you do not want to slow cook it to 180 or higher! It comes out way too dry. So the second one I cooked I pulled at 150, it was much juicier and probably 140 would be OK for this cut. U.S. Wellness meats again. Apparently, different parts of the chuck need different cooking methods and a low and slow to 180ish is not needed for this one!