Seems very well made so far. I used it a bit today. Quick responding as it stated, but need to read a bit more on the 3 second response time. Used it to measure cooking oil and it took it a bit longer to reach 350 range from room temps (but nothing long enough to complain about). Only other quirk so far is people with big hands and/or lack of long nails may find the probe aggravating to rotate out. They should really add a small notch on the rotating pivot portion to help get it started. Other than those minor things, I think it will be a great new toy to use.

-=Jasen=-

One of those saved Thanksgiving a few years ago! My M swears by the pop up timer. :roll: She inadvertently bought a bird with no pop up! What to do! Thermapen to the rescue.

I pulled the bird out of the oven based on actual temp (probably well before the pop up would have advocated), and the bird was the juiciest we'd had in years!

M's not yet QUITE convinced, but she's less worried if she buys a bird without a pop up. :) I take that as progress.

just before Christmas I bought the a pecial 6 pack and gave as Christmas presents to mom, sisters, niece and nephew. I already had one, I have one to use as a gift or an extra.

Getting my mom to use hers is frustration. She tends to take warm-ups out of the oven before they are warm enough.

well...when we were kids and the whole family would watch Planet of the apes together and my dad would tell us it was just like our family movies....so there may be some shared DNA...at least with your avatar. :D

If I don't get more imaginative my extra one may end up being part of a wedding present for my niece who is getting married in three weeks.

Since I don't have the years of experience many here have, I cannot tell by feel how well a steak is cooked. This thermometer makes up for my lack of expertise and I can get moree consistent results.

Thermapen, the best!

Just used a new Thermapen to check some chicken/spinach/feta sausages. There is NO way I wanted to undercook chicken sausage! You really can't tell by looking, if they are done. I stuck my Thermapen in there when I figured they were about ready, and they were 200. So that is slightly overdone by temperature and that is in fact exactly how they turned out, texture-wise; slightly overdone. It's not cheap, but wow, instant read! An absolute must for chicken, sausages and other ground meats, if you are not using some other thermometer. I actually could have used one of my other remote thermometers, but they would be less convenient because I was moving the sausages around on the grill, and flipping them.