Naldo

KK #445 Hits PA, WA

Hello All,

We received our KK on Wednesday---Yay! I was most impressed with how well crated it was, and we also had to get it onto our deck, which is only two steps up off the ground on the open side of our house, so I think I may have a unique story on that one.

First, we uncrated it by unscrewing the bolts at the base and lifting the whole crate box right over the top of the kooker and off the pallet. I found this to be a much quicker and efficient way to do it (I found this tip on the site a while back), and all that was left was the KK strapped to it's pallet.

Then, for two days straight, I could not get anyone to help us get it onto the deck, so our neighbor drove down his tractor and scooped it up in the tractor bucket and launched it onto the deck for us, and from there we unstrapped it off the pallet and rolled it right into it's permanent resting place. (I wish I had pics of that!)

Thanks to everyone for the nice welcomes and great input in all sections of the forum all the time. We look forward to sharing cooking pics ASAP!

Here's a pic of our baby's new home.

aV1iCCFS.jpg

Hello WayUpNorth,

Yes, that is indeed Trex decking on our deck. Also, I have had no problems wheeling the KK around the deck. In fact, we are very pleased and impressed with how easy the KK rolls. I can roll it myself---no problems. The wheels appear to about 2.5" diameter, and I believe they are HD Polyethylene wheels. The KK rolls right over the joints on our deck, and we also have had no problems with straining the planks. In fact, we were quite concerned about putting the KK up on the deck because of weight and the flex of deck material, but it's just perfect!

We are also very happy with our color choice.

Hello Naldo, we also have Trex and its the only way to go with decking!!

I am thinking about investing in a Komoto grill and I started a thread in General info I think its called. What I wanted to get peoples thoughts on is if they thought a bear could knock over a Komoto. We own and operate a small family resort in northern Wisconsin(w.w.w.scenicdrive.com) and its in the heart of bear country. I have seen bear do some amazing things when they get hungry. Someone wrote that I could maybe run cable around the base and go down thru the spacing of the decking and lag bolt it to the joyce. I think that's not a bad idea if it did not come apart just above the legs. Can I get your thoughts, thanks, Way^North.

One other possibility for making your KK as bear resistant as possible - bolt it directly to the deck. Dennis has said in the thread below that he could put bolts in place of the wheels, so it could be affixed directly:

viewtopic.php?t=1577&highlight=wheels

I think the biggest question is how do bears react to the smell of smoke and burnt grease? Do they typically tear your other BBQs apart? If not, they would probably not be too interested in your KK, right?

I agree with Firemonkey--bolting it might be the best idea, but the real question is really if this is a common problem in your area. Do bears truly go right up on your neighbors decks and mess with their BBQs?

I guess for long cooks overnight, where you may be asleep and all is quiet outside, perhaps this is conceivable. After all, I remember backpacking in Yosemite, and as soon as we set up camp and made a fire, the black bears were hovering on the outskirts of our campsite, and, as soon as we turned in for the night, they came roaming through the camp. In fact, we woke up to the sound of a bear up a tree, holding on with one paw, and swinging the other trying to get at our food sack, which we had tied up to the tree with a rope. He got it down!

But, really, the KK is not necessarily top-heavy at all, but I guess a bear could do some damage. They are really strong! That's a tough call if it's really a common problem in that area.

We have had bear knock over our Weber grills and have advised our cabin guests to make sure to not leave food outside. The trouble starts when drip pans are left on the grills("but thats not food", it is to a bear!). Yes they do come up on decks all the time in our area. I make a serious effort to check after any get-together we have to leave nothing outside, we have never had one on our deck. I am wondering how much the smell of a warm K would bring one in. The last thing I would want to do to a Komoto is to clean it after every cook and get rid of any seasoning that would build up over time. On second thought I could market bear hunts and use the Komoto to pull them in, yea that's the ticket!! Can you say write-off :0)!! Way^North.

I would think you will find your answer in a movement control devise that activates sprinkler, light radio etc. that hopefully will startle them away. Always improve the system bears are fast learners when it comes to eating.

One thing you cannot do is out run one of them.

It is for sure bears follow their noses, and are more than capable of breaking the unit bolted or not.

I would contact the game warden face to face and explain the problem. He has your answers.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.