PaulR

Using a Guru and a Stoker!

Idea

OK, here's a thought. The Guru and the Stoker are similar in that the round nozzle is a separate part that bolts on to the fan housing. It's possible the Guru nozzle may bolt right on to the Stoker fan housing. As soon as I get my Stoker back, I will check on this. It might take a little mod to do it, we'll see. If I can get it to work, then we would have to see if BBQ Guru would sell their nozzle assembly as a separate part. You would expect they would for customers who damage theirs occasionally. I still have not been able to ascertain whether Dennis intends to make some KK's with the standard 1-3/8" port, which the Stoker fits, and some with the smaller Guru specific port. It's true the smaller built in Guru inducer port is a nicer, cleaner look aesthetically, but the larger port gives the customers more flexibility in their choice of Guru vs. Stoker. Of course the whole problem could be obviated if either John or Dennis would make a Guru sized Stoker adapter to bolt on to the Stoker fan housing. This is going to be an easy fix ultimately.

Re: Rock's BBQ feedback

As a temporary fix' date=' I'd probably go to Home Despot or an autobody shop with the fan in hand and see if I could get a short length of metal pipe that fits inside the opening. .... This should be a serviceable cheap, temporary fix until Dennis gets back to you.[/quote']

Thanks, Jeff - great idea!! :idea: I'll see what I can find. Dennis is already back to me, as well. He is working on it and will have news for us shortly. :smt041

Just spoke with John. He admitted he has poor customer service' date=' that he is an engineer, he works the business solo with occasional help from his wife.......I am accepting this level of service for this product......I am not quitting Rock's.[/quote']

I'm willing to cut him some slack too. The Stoker has some features I really like, such as connecting with an Ethernet cable instead of a USB cable and allowing me to glance at the Stoker Log from multiple desktop computers in my house as well as my wireless notebook. I want to do everything I can to make it work. :thumbup:

Susan

permanent fix

If you are bold, and handy, do this: put the Stoker fan housing right up against the Guru faceplate on the KK. Minus the nozzle of course. With a pencil or a Sharpie mark through the holes of the Stoker housing on to the faceplate. Drill the holes on the faceplate and attach the Stoker with self tapping sheet metal screws. Figure out how to weatherproof the fan, since this is a permanent mounting. Look at my post "Stoker Raingear" for a solution. Get the sheetmetal screws first and use the correct size drill bit, that will cut stainless!! It's possible you might want to put a small piece of gasket material between the Stoker fan housing and the KK faceplate. You can get it at an auto parts store. This is all assuming the Stoker fan faceplate is the same size or smaller than the KK Guru faceplate. Otherwise this won't work. As I don't have my Stoker fan right now, I can't check on this!!!!

So whaddayathink?

I couldn't find any small pieces of copper pipe at Lowe's that would fit inside the Stoker adapter tube though I found lots that were the same size and lots that were too small. But I did find these reducer pieces that fit good on the larger end and which acted like a length of pipe the right size when assembled together. They were labelled 1x3/4.

32087937.th.jpg

93779146.th.jpg

34097930.th.jpg

I'll try to get muffler tape next to secure the pieces together, though they seem to stay pretty well together on their own. I'm thinking worst case I could get a plumber to solder them together. This is how it looks sitting in the KK. Before I try it, I will give the fan some support from the bricks up so it isn't pulling down. I'm optimistic at this point!! :happy11:

11214102.th.jpg

Looks nice! Remember there aren't many stresses that go on other than vibration and worst case if the fan falls out and the fire may die (assuming you've got the top mostly closed) - if it's a snug fit you may be ready for a test run even without the muffler tape. Just keep an eye on the StokerLog graph and if the fan stays on with the fire dying off you may need to check on it. Of course, for an overnight cook a little security may be a good thing :)