Nator

Nator Photos

First cook was 3 pork shoulders and some ABTs and they were delicious but no photos. However, here are some photos I have taken.

1. A still in crate photo with the unfortunate lean on the nose

NewNator.jpg

2. 2nd cook is BEEF baby backs...spouse error...trying to keep under 250 for 6 hours. This is about 4 hours in but temp creeped on me a bit to 250 dome using a weber 5" therm.

Notor2.jpg

3. Side view...I feel like the top is popping up a bit on me even with the latch in the 2nd most closed position. I saw a little smoke escape. Dennis, is this normal, spring too tight??? I can push on the handle and it has some give downward.

Nator3.jpg

good looking ribs, Nator

Pic 2 definitely shows some evidence of venting smoke at about the 4 o'clock area.

Hopefully there is an easy adjustment - gotta be better than adjusting bands, right? I dont see how adjusting the spring will be enough, though. If you adjust the spring to remove all of the upward tension, then its no longer self opening...just spring assisted opening. Seems like the adjustment would need to be in the latch.

Who me awake at 6:56am...

Ok have no fear I'm not going to ask you to hammer a wedge in your prop tube... (now that just did not sound right)

This is a simple adjustment or two...

First, adjust the self opening spring tension so the top opens confidently and completely but not so much that it hits top and bounces back at ya..

Now the latch has two settings, auto latch and air tight.. When the cooker is firmly closed it should just catch the first notch. Then when you press down firmly on the handle and press in the latch it tightens up and slides into the second notch. Now your air and smoke tight.

Both the latch and notch are vertically adjustable. Try to guesstimate how much tension you need to take up (gaskets do compress a bit at first from travel with no spring tension) loosen the two acorn nuts then give it a close. There now your cookin' :lol:

PS It's best to press down on the handle when opening/closing from/to the air tight position.

HandleW.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.