Firemonkey

Calzones

Baked a few calzones last week. A nice easy dinner if you plan ahead long enough to let the dough rise. I made these with a batch of standard pizza dough, stuffed with ricotta, spinach, Italian blend pizza cheese, sweet Italian sausage, peppers, onions, and pepperoni. Bake them at about 400 degrees until golden and give a solid hollow thud when tapped.

I cooked these on the inferior cooker, but I wont be doing that again anytime soon. The fire ring broke into four pieces during the cook :mad: I guess thats what happens when one actually uses one of those things :?

dscn2718jc6.jpg

dscn2722cn8.jpg

dscn2723xe3.jpg

dscn2724qi9.jpg

FM, those are absolutely beautiful! I LOVE calzones, and I have not tried cooking any bread or pizza-type stuff on the K or KK yet. The dough on those looks to be just a great texture. I know you mention you used a standard pizza dough--any chance I could convince you to post the recipe though? I am so bad at baking breads and pastries---anything with dough.

Just the lower bracket...with nothing on it...but its broken now, too :mad:

The HD that Johnson-Kamado ships is too large when placed on the lower bracket, and therefore causes the grill to crack (per RJs email to me). So my baking setup has been to place the HD on the main grid, and then some sort of spacer between the HD and a pizza stone. I find that the HD below the stone keeps the stone from getting so hot that it burns the bottom crust before the rest is cooked.

I used to use some 1" aluminum spacers but have since gone to using an inverted grill-wok. Principle is the same, but the wok puts the stone higher up in the dome, which is good.

The HD that Johnson-Kamado ships is too large when placed on the lower bracket' date=' and therefore causes the grill to crack (per RJs email to me). [/quote'].

My HD was so tight it wouldn't fit at all!! Angle grinder to the rescue!! Ground off off an inch or so of the HD all the way around. (Didn't matter, K still cracked, FWIW.)

So my baking setup has been to place the HD on the main grid' date=' and then some sort of spacer between the HD and a pizza stone. I find that the HD below the stone keeps the stone from getting so hot that it burns the bottom crust before the rest is cooked. [/quote'].

Pretty much the same setup I use for pizza, and for the same reason. With the exception, instead of upside down wok to create the space, I use the upper grill accessory.

FM, is this the setup you use for all baking?? Or just pizza/calzone?

Thanks,

JB