LarryR

Fuel for Ceramic

I'm planning on buying some of the Komodo Charcoal, however, until then I have around 20 bags of The Original Charcoal Company's 100% All-Natural hardwood Briquette charcoal (Rancher). Other than the additional ash, does anyone see any reason I couldn't/shouldn't use this in a ceramic? I know I won't get the high temps out of it that I would with say Komodo or Lump but, I've got 20 bags laying around.

Thanks in advance.

I have used the rancher, and can make no complaints. I found it at my local Home Depot last year and grabbed a few bags on the cheap...like $4 each! I even went in a few weeks ago to see if they had it again - only cowboy this time. Most people will tell you that they prefer to use lump, and I do as well. But those briquettes were great to mix in with the lump when I didnt want the wood-fire flavor, or just for something different.

Since you are new, you may not have seen this page yet:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Everything you ever wanted to know about various brands of charcoal, as compiled by some guy with nothing better to do :P (that was an inside joke, as Naked Whiz does frequent these parts occasionally)

Don't sweat temps thing, either. Aside from trying to sear a steak right down in the fire (where a pile of lump is ideal) or burning for 80 hours straight (where extruded is the way to go), you can cook just about anything with the briquettes just like you do with lump.

Excellent news. A buddy of mine and I bought about 30 bags a piece when they were on sale at HD for $2.99 a bag (20 lb. bag). I used it exclusively in my Weber Smoky Mountian (WSM) for my smokes. Burns very clean and long.

I've been using Royal Oak in my ceramic so far and have been very pleased with it. I'm looking forward to getting some of the Komodo stuff too.

A lot of the cheaper briquettes have some pretty nasty binders and the ones impregnated with lighter fluid are a no-no, but these don't seem too bad with just charcoal and starch. TNW even has a review of them, probably not the best for a low-and-slow but if you just want to grill they should be fine.

I did okay using them for longer cooks, and I also did fine reusing the unburned remnants after shutting the grill down. TNW will probably be along any time to clarify, but I think his primary ceramic is a BGE. I know he has a KK, too, but when I hear him talk about ash management, plugging the grate, etc, I dont pay much attention. Both my RJ-K and my KK have enough room in the bottom to hold the ash from several bags of charcoal.

In looking at my fuel basket I think I'll be good. When using it in my WSM I'd knock the ash off once during a 18+ hour cook and I'd be fine. I've grilled over it but prefer using it for low and slow cooks. It will be interesting to see how long of a burn I can get out of it in a ceramic. In a WSM I could get 24 hours (@225) out of 10 lbs. I imagine I could get about double that in a ceramic. When I connect my Stoker to her I'll test this out. Right now I'm trying to get manual control down first.

EDIT: Just thought of another fuel related question. In my WSM I start my low and slow cooks using 8 lit coals dumped on a ring of unlit. Would this be too many for a target temp of 225 (grate) in a ceramic?

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Just thought of another fuel related question. In my WSM I start my low and slow cooks using 8 lit coals dumped on a ring of unlit. Would this be too many for a target temp of 225 (grate) in a ceramic?

Nah...its all about airflow. After you throw them in, set your vents in the neighborhood for your temps and let it come up to speed. I used to use the gas burner to light the underside of my basket before setting the vents and letting it come up to temp.

Nah...its all about airflow. After you throw them in, set your vents in the neighborhood for your temps and let it come up to speed. I used to use the gas burner to light the underside of my basket before setting the vents and letting it come up to temp.

I tend to be more conservative on low and slow. Usually only light 2 or 3 pieces of lump with my torch. This way the heat comes up slow to temp and less risk for overshoot. Of course, most of the time on low/slow I use a Guru. You really do not want an overshoot using power draft. Power draft will also get 2 or 3 pieces of charcoal up to temp faster than natural draft.

-=Jasen=-