Fetzervalve

Accessory Grill Ver II

Using DJ's original idea that was developed here viewtopic.php?t=2354&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I asked a family member who works for a wire products company for a prototype. Here it is; I added legs so it could be used on any of the grills (main, lower or sear) as well as hanging it from the main grill ledge as DJ has done. It will work with both roti baskets.

The question is; Who would be interested in one? If I can gauge the interest level, then I can get quote based upon the approx quantity.

You could PM me or post your interest here.

The final version will be approx 5 inches wide (front to back) and the legs will come all the way to the front, the legs are 4" high. All made from 1/4" stainless.

gx1o1bOr.jpg

gx1o2l8A.jpg

Pq1Bylf0.jpg

gx1o2v79.jpg

gx1o2xCi.jpg

aV1AJ9Vi.jpg

Very nice indeed! If the price is right I'd be interested. How about the stability? It looks like it relies mostly on the lip to stay up which seems like it would help a lot, but think there would be any issues of knocking it over during a cook? If it seems a little wobbly another solution is to have the legs extend beyond the front, kind of like this:

accessorygrillprofile87vj1.jpg

I don't think it should add too much to the complexity - just a little more material and maybe a 45 or 60 degree bend instead of a 90.

Very Nice !! I like the fact I wouldn't have to drill holes in my KK. I'd be interested depending on price as well. I'm starting to see some baked potatos with my rotis chicken in the future !!!
Bob, you will still need a hole/notch to use it with the roti. That part is not on this prototype. I don't think I would trust it to stay on the ledge without some type of mechanical restraint. I thought the legs give it added versatility and not everyone has a roti, but most everyone has needed/wanted a second level for moving items around during a cook.

They are convenient as hell aren't they?

-=Jasen=-

I don't know yet, I just got it and the first thing I did was take these pictures.

I have been lusting over yours for months now! :oops:

Hey, that is like a BBQ commandment being broken dude! Thou shall not lust over thy neighbors grill or something! :wink: Get to using it bubba!

Very Nice !! I like the fact I wouldn't have to drill holes in my KK. I'd be interested depending on price as well. I'm starting to see some baked potatos with my rotis chicken in the future !!!
Bob' date=' you will still need a hole/notch to use it with the roti. That part is not on this prototype. I don't think I would trust it to stay on the ledge without some type of mechanical restraint. I thought the legs give it added versatility and not everyone has a roti, but most everyone has needed/wanted a second level for moving items around during a cook.[/quote']

Curious of something Fetz as this was one the biggest battles when I designed mine. When using the sear grill with this accessory grill hanging on the lip, are the legs placed where the handles/legs of the sear grill would hold it in place on the lip (flip between my pics and your pics as they look like they match up)? Still no help on the rotis part, but this could help solve half the equation anyway? Had maybe though of extended the side post rail to where it almost contacted the rotis bar to solve the other. Figured it was better to hit the rotis shaft if moved forward than food fall. But not sure it would work with the square shaft.

Anyway, it is cool this project got resurrected....especially by someone with means of reproducing more than one!! Again..great job!

-=Jasen=-

I will look at the sear/acc grill interaction. One problem I can envision is that there are a few versions of the lump basket that may not allow for a universal solution. 2nd, my sear grill has quite a bit of movement possible when on the lump basket, that would likely allow the accessory grill room to roam!

I wish there was an alternative to grill modification.

With the legs, you have a device that is useful as a stand alone on any of the grills, and if someone doesn't want to modify (drill a small hole in) their grill, they only loose the use with the roti, or as you state, in a super elevated state relative to the sear grill.

I wonder if one could devise a clamp that would firmly attach it to the main grill. I'm thinking a small, flat bit of stainless (perhaps with appropriately-spaced indents) that can rotate to fit through the grill and then tightens with a wing nut. I just don't know how long it would last in the heat - but if it's just a bolt and wing nut that needs to be replaced periodically that should be a small price to pay.

I wonder if one could devise a clamp that would firmly attach it to the main grill.
That would not be a problem, however, it will sit and stay fine on any of the grills. The problem that DJ struggled with is, how to keep it on the ledge. The current solution is to have a small pin that fits into a hole that would need to be drilled, if the user desires it to be used with the roti, or on the ledge when using the sear grill on the lump basket.

That is a different problem. I had thought about that with DJ's grill, but the best I could come up with was trying to get a very stiff clip thin enough not to disturb the gasketing too much (or just lay another gasket over top). But that still seemed a little cheesy, risky, and difficult. Other options were to have a ring around the entire lip (but I think there were issues with the rotisserie ports) or to dress a small child in an asbestos suit to hold it in place. Turns out you need to provide an oxygen supply for that last option, live and learn (why do you think I had to move?)

How about the legs going through the grills with cross bars to control how deep they (legs) can go? If the grills were jig made all will fit without a problem. The back legs could be bent (horizontal) to catch on bottom of grill rods to stop lift and stabilize the unit.

When using the sear grill with this accessory grill hanging on the lip, are the legs placed where the handles/legs of the sear grill would hold it in place on the lip.......

-=Jasen=-

I checked this last night, my sear grill legs are not in the same spot on both sides, one side would hold it fairly well, the other is an inch too far forward. So it's possible that could work depending on the particular sear grill however, the "hold me on the ledge pin" kinda needs to be put on the piece when it's made. :?