Conodo12

Gas Assembly Support Rod

Hi Guys,

I got the new GenII.2 KK all unpacked and noticed a new little nicety - Check this out:

See the two holes inside the base of the KK?

Pq2EHP3A.jpg

They are used to hold this adjustable height assembly which supports the bottom of the optional gas assembly:

aV2ojLxi.jpg

Here it is with the optional gas assembly in place:

Pq2EIYoJ.jpg

Just for fun - Here is my new KK! Below that is a pic of the first lighting!

Pq2EJNMJ.jpg

Pq2EKlHJ.jpg

My wife was able to take that last pick with a Nikon D80 and used a delayed shutter speed. Sorry guys, I don't have any more details than that; my wife is the shutterbug! And yes, that is Komodo Sustainable coal that I am lighting. I let the grill bake at 275 overnight (just because) and woke up the next morning with it sitting rock solid on 275. No Guru or Stoker, just the bottom vent and top damper adjusted. Ribs go on later today. Chances are this KK won't get a chance to fully cool down all weekend as I will be playing with it the whole time!

:D

I got your back. :)

It was shot at 1/8" at F5.6 and ISO200 with the 18-135mm Nikkor at max zoom. Looks like she used a slow-sync TTL metered flash and was about 1m away from the subject, probably because she used the Night Portrait VariProgram mode. She may have also been using the MB-D80 grip with alkaline batteries - she should try NiMH rechargeables, they'll give better battery life. She may have also used a tripod with a 10s delay, a good idea for long exposures. There's also a setting to introduce a delay between when the mirror lifts and the shutter fires, that's nearly as useful as a Mirror Lockup (but MLU is only available on the D200 and higher from that generation).

All in all not bad, especially for a first try. The flash pop is probably why you can make out the unlit coals.