DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Have great childhood memories but we grew up on Kraft Mac & Cheese and Kraft Spaghetti from a box.  I think Mom's special dinner was hamburger stroganoff. 

Dad did cook hamburgers outside on the charcoal grill ......but they all tasted like the lighter fluid he used to get the charcoals going.

My sisters and I got really good at making grilled american cheese sandwiches and sending Mom & Dad out to dinner :-D.

Different motivation but I believe that is why I enjoy cooking so much today!!!!!!

• Like 2

Well, I tried the new technique for the poached eggs this morning. Jury is still out for me. I found messing with the plastic wrap to be a bit of a PITA. I didn't get the air out, so they wanted to float on top of the simmering water. One kept wanting to tip over, so I had to practically hold it up the whole cook. Was concerned that if it did tip over, it might leak water in. Not a problem, but for the first time, I wanted to see the results without any issues. I pulled mine after 2 1/2 mins, was a tad under cooked - whites and yolk separated when I pour it out and some of the white wasn't set. Next time, a full 3 mins and I'll work to get the air out. I did like how it's a faster cook than doing SV, even accounting for the time to get the pot of water up to a boil. 

I found that for my size of egg a good time is 4.5 mins. I started tying mine with string and kept the ends long enough so that I could hang the bag over a stick across the top of the pot. One knot is enough , it won't come loose. If I don't go to the market tomorrow I'll try to take pixs showing the setup. :) 

Edited by MacKenzie

Oh man! Eddie Mac my mother in law was Portuguese and when they came to visit she would always make 25lbs of Portuguese sweet bread, the house would smell like heaven. She would stay up all night baking, and when I would get home from work (I used to work the graveyard shift) I would have the best bread I ever ate! Sweet memories for sure. 

• Like 3

I did go to the market yesterday so no poaching eggs before going. Did poach this morning though. It is getting more easy after doing probably 6 times. Today I tied a knot in the Saran wrap first then wrapped my string around it. This will give me more control of the bag in the water. I am afraid that if the bag stays against the sides of the hot pot it might start to melt. 

I the Saran wrap is big enough one can tie a knot in it as I did here then I tied the string around it. BTW I can use the string over and over.

5a7746ddd4872_TieBag.thumb.jpg.0dcb0170c1c9de9cbb0512c8ab0a1be2.jpg

5a7746e4d8815_TiedtheBag.thumb.jpg.4f6003659b5ba5a14a9b5c9f444b3be5.jpg

Into the water we go.

Poaching.thumb.jpg.5b11e583bf7c95c8bba42b0a60b18e4a.jpg

Plated.

5a7749f2db9b1_BreakfastWithGreens.thumb.jpg.b18b731d971858038b921b6a1529ab5f.jpg

After 4.5 mins and a couple of minutes on the counter while drying off the bag and removing the string.

5a7746c9ae747_DressedEgg.thumb.jpg.b361cc4b4c8c13ade46977b9dd1da54c.jpg

• Like 2

Why I'm not grilling lately!

20180209_110004.thumb.jpg.9f4f08e6594955abe6b42bbe5903771a.jpg

20180209_110009.thumb.jpg.62e44866ecca61dbbafa051005c8e822.jpg

Mother Nature catching up with us. Hasn't been a lot of snow this winter until this week. Maybe more on the way tonight. And, the high temperature might break freezing by middle of next week. Winter is starting to get seriously old now! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, tony b said:

Why I'm not grilling lately!

20180209_110004.thumb.jpg.9f4f08e6594955abe6b42bbe5903771a.jpg

20180209_110009.thumb.jpg.62e44866ecca61dbbafa051005c8e822.jpg

Mother Nature catching up with us. Hasn't been a lot of snow this winter until this week. Maybe more on the way tonight. And, the high temperature might break freezing by middle of next week. Winter is starting to get seriously old now! 

Absolutely I agree Tonyb

Pizza night (right now, we are doing it once a week :))

We tried the baking steel multiple different ways and didn't have much luck (bottom cooked sooner than the top, even at 400-450).

Went back to Denis's baking stone at 600 and the output is delicious.

1) Fried sage and goat mozzarella 

2) Smoked lamb (rotisserie while running the cold smoker the night before in the kk)  and thyme 

IMG_5490.jpg

IMG_5487.jpg

Edited by Assad
  • Like 4