DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

3 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Thanks Mac! It was a lot of driving but we had fun and really lucked out on the weather.

On return leg of your next tripto Yellowstone you might want to stop at Holei in the Ground in central Oregon.  It is about the size of Meteor Crater in Az.  We have camped there and pursued other hobbies using that big hole.

This was taken at the rim of the hole in November several years ago.  We were visiting a friends nearby ranch and stayeddown at the rim of the hole so we could use its good natural backstop.

Google Earth has a photo taken during the dry summer. 

0E9235B1-1BC4-4E89-9BC6-9E5FF24FFF9F.jpeg

• Like 1

My wife's been out of town. So I've been doing some pizza experimenting. 

I tried trader joes dough, and Serious Eats NY pizza sauce. But I thought it tasted too much like marinara. 

So last night I experimented with my own sauce recipe based off Marcella Hazan's pasta sauce. I also made my own 24hr cold fermented NY, coal-fired-style pizza dough. This dough was a revelation. I could finally stretch the dough into a decent sized pizza shape. I grated some mozzarella and tried my best to dry it. 5mins in the kamado on a baking steel at 600F. The bottom cooked a little too quickly. Next time, I'll move the ceramic stones to the felt line so the steel doesn't get too much hotter than the ambient temp. 

41218785802_5e3e1778fd_c.jpg

40366542805_1940f355fe_c.jpg

41218784112_337c49d98f_b.jpg

• Like 4

What did you cook it on? I can tell from the glimpse of the grates and your talking about "felt line," that it's not a KK. The nice thing about pizza cooks on the KK, is that you can put the stone on the upper grate, closer to the top walls, so the top of the pizza cooks along with the crust bottom on the stone. 

1 hour ago, tony b said:

What did you cook it on? I can tell from the glimpse of the grates and your talking about "felt line," that it's not a KK. The nice thing about pizza cooks on the KK, is that you can put the stone on the upper grate, closer to the top walls, so the top of the pizza cooks along with the crust bottom on the stone. 

I have a Primo XL. I wanted the oval shape but couldn't swing a KK yet. I cook it on the upper grate so the lid of the grill acts as the upper plate. I'd like to slot it between the two grates but the legs for the upper grate get in the way. I can usually get the top and bottom to cook evenly, but not if I'm using the baking steel as the deflector. 

My wife wanted to see what I'd been working on, so I cooked even more pizzas last night. This time I tried using an aluminum pan to deflect heat instead. The grill heated up more quickly, but my lower grate must be a lot closer to the fire than on a KK, because the pan melted after about 40mins.

Pizzas still turned out well. I'm trying to replicate the pizza at Pizzatown USA in Elmwood, NJ. It's a coal-fired style with minimal cheese, and a real savory/buttery sauce. 

Last nights: 
27407029468_db18ca0df2_c.jpg

This was the setup from the other night:

39470069590_6b922e6764_c.jpg

Edited by KlausVanWinkle

I believe you need space between your stone and your baking steel. I've always used a stone on a lower grid, and another stone/steel to cook on at a higher level on a second grid. Otherwise, the bottom often gets too hot for me. Regardless of the cooker. 

Although with the KK, the fire is far enough away, that may not hold true. I'll find out upon my first pizza cook! 

Edited by amusedtodeath

2 hours ago, amusedtodeath said:

I believe you need space between your stone and your baking steel. I've always used a stone on a lower grid, and another stone/steel to cook on at a higher level on a second grid. Otherwise, the bottom often gets too hot for me. Regardless of the cooker. 

Although with the KK, the fire is far enough away, that may not hold true. I'll find out upon my first pizza cook! 

That's been my experience too. I tried the aluminum pan thing last night but it melted. Going back to the ceramic plates on the lower grate, steel on the upper. 

• Like 1