DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

After my last pizza cook ended with me launching the pizza off the wheel and into the field next door,  I decided to conquer my nemesis.  My doughs were inconsistent even though I used the same recipe.  I purchased Ken Forkish’s Elements of Pizza.  Worth every penny 

I did three pies and they all came out great(they were even round).  

One of the best takeaways was adding the cheese after three minutes or so and everything comes out cooked perfectly.  

C8C8687E-E345-4C0C-8BF8-BEFB921293F6.jpeg

• Like 4

Awesome pizza cook @Drew.  I am going to get back to trying out the Ken Forkish doughs now that I have got my yeast quantity and measures right. I also watched a programme about Nancy Silverton in LA and subsequently bought her book, Mozza.  Her pizza recipe is quite involved but I plan to try it to see how it compares.  I'm loving home made pizza on the KK.  A world away from store bought domestic oven versions!

Tekobo, this was the first and only time I've tried a probe on ribs. I'm not sure I would use one again. I've cooked a lot of ribs and I don't think it was much more help than just observing the meat / bone interaction. I had just gotten a Smoke unit and wanted to try it out.

• Thanks 1

Wow all these cooks look wonderfully delicious.  I tried my hand at making some bread yesterday. First time I made bread. I think I over cooked it but it still tasted pretty good. My friends wife gave me the recipe it’s supposed to be for diabetics. You use Almond flour ground flaxseed in a little bit of coconut flour and honey. Next time I’ll keep a better eye on it lol

F28CD042-ADE4-44F7-9F72-98E7B8C1FDEA.jpeg

659FBE9E-C380-4203-990E-EC9E76028DF8.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I tried my hand at making some bread yesterday. First time I made bread. I think I over cooked it but it still tasted pretty good.

Cool! Great first go.  Will watch your bread adventures with interest.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jonj said:

Tekobo, this was the first and only time I've tried a probe on ribs. I'm not sure I would use one again. I've cooked a lot of ribs and I don't think it was much more help than just observing the meat / bone interaction. I had just gotten a Smoke unit and wanted to try it out.

Bend test is still the best method for doneness on ribs. Pick up the rack with tongs by the end and give a little "bounce." If they crack, they're done. If not, keep on rocking! If it breaks completely in two, you went too far! 

bend_test.jpg.8c61e25b1dda27f28d257d89f79ff929.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I think I’ll try a bread that uses yeast and has to rest and rise next time

It is a thing of wonder, yeast.  I love the fact that you can make so many different types of loaves with the simple combination of yeast, water, flour and salt.  Good luck.  Will you use a machine or knead by hand?  The former is more predictable I think but I prefer getting my hands dirty. :wub:

5 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Mac do the bears ever come up to the house looking for food?

No, Bruce, the house is off limits. :) Actually once many years ago when we kept bees they came up to the hives that were on edge of the lawn and knocked them over and ate what they could. That was a fun day getting up seeing this mess and having to clean it up and get the hives back together before going to work. I can remember in the rush getting suited up not taking the time to tuck my pant legs in and needless to say they discovered the open bottoms and made the most of it. Talk about sore legs. Yikes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been feeling rather green around the gills today.  Heavy eating and drinking weekend.  Heavy use of the KK too but didn't have time to take photos.  Except for these two.  I am in Love with my Le Pigeon cookbook.  Would you believe that this picture is of scallops cooking on a plancha?

G3CUn8LkQSyrTnKeONCSYA.thumb.jpg.ed5c5da3d69a83a0cb9d45c7abe7b4dd.jpg

Well, you should.  They have been coated in black squid/cuttlefish ink.  And I plated eight of these:

1638336081_Vy5DSOS1QEaDnN2MojiIQ.thumb.jpg.b3e318581fc470ae0b6b84d60af5c2bb.jpg

It is wonderfully dramatic when you cut into the scallop and it is white inside.  Most importantly it all tasted great.  

• Like 4