DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Instead of rhubarb pie I made a pizza pie. ;) Busy for the last several days working on getting my garden done even though I had to wear my winter coast it was so cold. I can see the end, thank goodness. Tekobo, sorry I just couldn't bring myself to make and an amoeba pie.:smt077 This pie was done in the oven and and I know it would have tasted better done in the KK but I am just too tired.

2119213722_ReadyToBake.thumb.jpg.a7f2bb19609d92ad444d070db073e715.jpg

Baked.

1321319547_BakedPizza.thumb.jpg.913534d71dc764e1ccb1b9300cd3adf5.jpg

Pizza.thumb.jpg.54e5b447cd7c29f4a658fbf160ec7172.jpg

Add some basil from the garden.

2082646116_PizzaWithBasil.thumb.jpg.f6713b85a1ef15712a139cf01556a2f1.jpg

1099939587_SlicedPizza.thumb.jpg.72a54d43ec36fc6a58dca2739656bb57.jpg

The crust is nice and light.

Crust.thumb.jpg.33d187b0d564ca1c9f87a53e574537cb.jpg

• Like 6

Lovely looking cooks.  Do Americans do crumbles or just pies?  Rhubarb crumble is a nice variation.  

It was pizza night here last night.  I screwed up the dough, too wet for some reason, but was rescued by our new Italian toppings.  Wow. Lardo is great on pizza.  Still not round like @MacKenzie's but will keep working at it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Lovely looking cooks.  Do Americans do crumbles or just pies?  Rhubarb crumble is a nice variation.  

It was pizza night here last night.  I screwed up the dough, too wet for some reason, but was rescued by our new Italian toppings.  Wow. Lardo is great on pizza.  Still not round like @MacKenzie's but will keep working at it.  

Crumbles, cobblers, crisps. You name it. Americans eat it. And airline seats keep getting smaller. :shock:

I had hoped to make this: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/04/rhubarb-crisp-recipe.html

But the in-laws are visiting, handed me a bag of rhubarb from their “garden” (a single rhubarb plant they thought was a weed until I showed up), and insisted on pie. So pie it is.

When it comes to rhubarb, there are 11 types of people: Heathens (haters), purists (must be prepared with NO other fruits), infidels (those that think it requires strawberries or some such nonsense). Guess which camp I’m in?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Pequod said:

When it comes to rhubarb, there are 11 types of people: Heathens (haters), purists (must be prepared with NO other fruits), infidels (those that think it requires strawberries or some such nonsense). Guess which camp I’m in?

How odd.  I always thought there was only one type - purists.  I empathise with your in-laws.  I have five rhubarb plants on the allotment. We eat a LOT of rhubarb desserts through the winter.

Try the rhubarb fool from this link: https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/foodanddrink/darinaallen/april-bloomfields-rhubarb-fool-with-cardamom-cream-and-pistachios-224799.html  It is great layered into jam jars and it means you have dessert already to go ahead of time. I have even sent friends home on the train with their very own takeaway jam jar dessert and a spoon.  It is that good.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are very few rhubarb purists that I’ve found in the US. They seem to be mostly clustered in the Midwest - land of my youth. Ruining rhubarb with strawberries is the usual approach on either coast. Except in California, where they like to sneak kale into everything. 

@Bruce Pearson - put rhubarb on the list after you down that Vegemite. Resist temptation to ruin the rhubarb with kale or strawberries.

@tekobo - I’m no fool, but I shall surely try your fool. 

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 1

I’m cooking a tri tip this Sunday for my birthday (75) sheeeesh where did the time go? Anyway I’ll be cooking it on my Traeger grill. I bought it a couple years before I got my KKand have never used it, so thought might as well give it a try, even though I kinda feel like a traitor to my beautiful KK. I’ll ask my daughter to make a rhubarb pie as a birthday present lol

• Like 3