DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Jon what temp do you use when cooking the rice. All the instructions say medium to medium low for 12 to 15 minutes? Seems to high to me. When I  was seasoning the donabe  I had my gas range as low as it would go and it still boiled over, of course I didn’t have the inner lid on so maybe that makes a  difference? Any information would be  appreciated . Thanks

Had a couple of fun cooks over the weekend.  Tried out my griddle plate on some nice Aussie red jumbo shrimp, lobster tails and Mexican corn. The next day spun a nice hen with a pan of vadalias and brussels catching the drippings underneath. It always amazes me how the KK keeps everything so moist!

60B370FF-C0FB-4D6B-931A-495B9A8E7799.thumb.jpeg.2d6ae8021d132978cab9cc364f53a45e.jpeg

40BAE6E8-8376-4B33-B3ED-5CF510763DE5.jpeg

2B9D99F5-6EE9-491C-A3F0-2BB766628423.jpeg

608FC09F-786A-4B26-A45E-7A815B03ECDF.jpeg

6EB8FA3C-44DA-48E8-B146-16490E9E716B.jpeg

Crisping the skin

Edited by Kevin H
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Jon what temp do you use when cooking the rice. All the instructions say medium to medium low for 12 to 15 minutes? Seems to high to me. When I  was seasoning the donabe  I had my gas range as low as it would go and it still boiled over, of course I didn’t have the inner lid on so maybe that makes a  difference? Any information would be  appreciated . Thanks

Bruce, We adjust the flame so it just touches the entire bottom of the pot with out creeping up the sides.....I would say medium heat.   We use one rice cup of liquid for each rice cup of rice for most kinds of rice. Redhead Sue always adds more liquid and it doesn't seem to make much difference.  We cook for about 30 seconds after the steam starts coming out the top hole, turn off the burner and let it rest for 20 minutes.  In about 30 cooks we have only had the rice stick/burn once and I think we didn't notice when it started steaming and let it go too long.  Still looking for the english instructions.   

Edited by Jon B.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Be sure to put the top lid hole, 90 degrees to the two inside lid holes to get the pressure cooker effect. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Thanks Jon soon as I get my Butane burner I’ll give it a try

The butane burner we have is the same size as the burner on our gas stove.......should work perfect for you!!!

We have had fun trying all the different kinds/brands/grains of rice also.  Never had any other kind of rice cooker to compare it to, but the rice always comes out the same......light & fluffy.  

We made some the other night......garlic, ginger & scallions in the rice.......after it was cooked we stirred in mixed veggies and smoked rib eye chunks.........wonderful.

Forgot to mention....we started adding a splash or two of our favorite meat seasonings to the rice mixture before cooking with great results.  

Have fun with the new cooker!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Ooo meat seasonings sounds good thanks Jon. I bought the awatani supposed to put out 12,000 btu’s

We have 8,000 BTU and 10,000 BTU units...........both work well with the rice cooker.  You will have more than enough heat to make great rice!!!!

• Like 1

OK, I succumbed to the power of the Forum and just ordered a ceramic rice cooker. I bought one of the less expensive ones to see if I like it better than my electric rice cooker. If I really like it, I might plunk down the coin for a nicer one. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Has it come to this?? We all sit around weak kneed waiting to see poor ol' Bruce cook rice? ;-)

Yup!  Stop being twitter and bisted, we love Bruce and we want a test run to justify our next KK forum induced purchase.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

we want a test run to justify our next KK forum induced purchase.  

Hear, hear! I want to have some idea that I'm going to be OK with plunking down $120 for a ceramic pot that will only cook 1 cup of rice before I jump into the deep end of that pool! 

https://toirokitchen.com/collections/unique-style-iga-yaki-donabe/products/kamado-san?variant=45954685774

I made some pretty damned good rice tonight in a 1 cup Calphalon pot. Owned it for decades. 

• Like 3

:)Hey guys and gals I’m no Connoisseur of rice. Me I just like to buy cooking equipment LOL. When I was a mechanic I love buying tools. I’ve switch from tools to kitchen equipment. Anyway I got my butane bottles today so tomorrow morning I’m gonna cook some rice. Please don’t get weaked kneed or twitter and bistrd on my Account.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hey guys and gals I’m no Connoisseur of rice. Me I just like to buy cooking equipment LOL. When I was a mechanic I love buying tools. I’ve switch from tools to kitchen equipment. Anyway I got my butane bottles today so tomorrow morning I’m gonna cook some rice. Please don’t get weaked kneed or twitter and bistrd on my Account.
I am watching this with everything that I have and very much looking forward to it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1