DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

First Bali Sunset Dinner Party

We had our first Bali Sunset dinner party this last week.. Saisuda made up some of our favorite Thai dishes and I was going to smoke up a big butt for pulling..

DSCN8636_2.jpg

DSCN8638_2.jpg

DSCN8637_2.jpg

DSCN8643_2.jpg

DSCN8642_2.jpg

DSCN8640_2.jpg

DSCN8639_2.jpg

The pork ran overtime and was just set to rest when we started dinner.. So we nibbled on some before desert but were all to full of Thai to really get into it.. No problem, I have lots of vacuumed lil' bags of pulled piggy for lunch meat now..

DSCN8645_2.jpg

The Bali sunset was not the star of the evening but did not disappoint us either..

DSCN8647.jpg

Guest room is empty!

Stuffed Tri-tip

The SO brought home a "Stuffed Tri-tip" last night from our meat market. Had never stuffed a tri so I was excited to try something new. Very tasty. Turns out it was stuffed with mushrooms, green peppers, bread crumbs, cheese and I think it was ham. Middle was a perfect med. rare with the ends being med. Nice twist on one of my favorite cuts of meat.

th_StuffedTri5.jpg

th_StuffedTri6.jpg

It was unseasonably warm today so I decided to grill up some Costco Brats. I dumped the KKEC into a metal bucket I bought for just such a purpose and loaded the old girl up with lump (Cowboy, it was all I could find on a short notice but it gets the job done). I did debate long and hard about whether or not to just fill up the 19.5" with lump, but I just can't bring myself to get her dirty yet. Longer term I think I'll keep lump in the 19.5" and KKEC in the 23" but for now the little one remains pure.

I felt a little naked without the Stoker but it's not like grilling is hard. Fire hot. Apply food. Food hot. Getting the Cowboy up to 500F or so was easier than getting the KKEC to 350 and I got to hear that familiar tinkle as it caught fire. I cooked on the main grill rotating frequently, next time I may try the sear grill.

6littledoggiesyy2.th.jpg

I pricked my brats with the Thermapen to let the juices out - I like them a little dried out but the wife doesn't. They came out great:

crispydogstb3.th.jpg

Nice crispy skin and pretty flavorful (Kayem, a local brand). A little Guldens spicy brown mustard and they really hit the spot. This is the first meal that I can't say was significantly better on the KK than on my old Weber Kettle (no real magic to high temp grilling of brats), but I can honestly say that I enjoyed cooking it a lot more. :)

I was also taking the leftover KKEC out of the grill for when I wanted to use regular lump. But now I have a new plan...

img0320gx4.jpg

It does just fine and if you set them closer together you will be surprised how much room there is. As dense as it is, it takes direct fire to get it burning, so I have not had any issues even when the basket full of lump is raging hot.

Taking leftover lump out is not a problem. I will use most of it on the previous cooks if I know I am going to be using KKEC, and the few handfuls that are left in the bottom are perfect to get the KKEC going.

Meat: Chicken

Brine: ~18 hours in Kosher salt

Fuel: Cowboy

Smoke: None

Method: Indirect, Main Grill, Roadside baste

Rotisserie: No

Pit Temp: 350

Pull Temp: 160

Time: About 3 hours

Draft Control: Stoker + StokerLog

I was too lazy to change out the charcoal, but 350 could go either way when it comes to lump vs. extruded. No smoke this time, but my wife is addicted to this roadside baste. This time I tried red wine vinegar, but the verdict was that, while delicious, she prefers the apple cider I used on a turkey breast. Maybe one of these days I'll actually try the white vinegar that the recipe recommends :)

dsc51081703922hk0.th.jpg

Needless to say it was delicious and experimenting with vinegars just means I need to make it over and over and over again!

• Like 1

Just a run of the mill roasted chicken... Marinated in cider vinegar, oil, onion and garlic powder, with some salt and sugar. I usually marinate it in the cider vinegar and oil (3:1) and then mix up the spices depending on my mood. After mixing the marinade, I pour it in between the skin and meat at a few places, then let it sit breast down in a bowl for an hour or two until ready to cook.

Roast on the upper rack for about 1 hour at 375-400. Indirect, deflector on basket handles, small drip pan under bird on main grill if you want. Sometimes I forget and its fine ;)

img0354.jpg

• Like 1

Poor man's prime rib

Meat: ~3lb round roast

Brine: None

Rub: Balsamic and Olive Oil and with Dizzy's Cow Lick

Fuel: KKEC

Smoke: None

Method: Indirect, Main Grill

Rotisserie: No

Pit Temp: 250

Pull Temp: 130

Time: About 2 hours

Draft Control: Stoker

I almost forgot to show off about a round roast I picked up and ate a few weeks ago. Rubbed in olive oil and balsamic with Dizzy's Cow Lick before I tossed it on the grill.

roundroastbefore2398888.th.jpg

Despite continually putting the meat on too soon (should have dropped the temp to 225 to be more on time, methinks) the results were great, it was more like a prime rib than a round roast. Rather than letting it dwell like I did for my earlier prime rib I pulled the roast and wrapped it in foil for half an hour before the wife came home and I sliced it.

roundroastsliced2575638.th.jpg

Tasted great with a little horseradish sauce on the side but the Cow Lick was a bit superfluous in my opinion, next time I'll do without.

...and on Friday there was a feast

Sams club has whole beef tenderloin for a little over $5/lb , so brought one home to make beef wellington, but after I started trimming I decided it might just become steaks. These were some of the end cuts, from when I trimmed it.

I accompanied with what has become my standard fare lately, baked potato and spinach salad. Since I also had some big fresh tomatoes, I went with baked tomatoes on the side, too.

img0426y.jpg

img0425y.jpg

img0431g.jpg

Buffalo chicken wraps

A quick and easy summertime meal. Grill a couple boneless, skinless breasts, cut them into strips, and toss them in your favorite wing sauce. I always have some homemade wing sauce in the fridge, so I just heat a some sauce in a stainless bowl on the stove while the wings are cooking. Yes, a stainless mixing bowl...they can go in the dishwasher, but the cookware doesnt 8)

When the chicken is done, lay a flour tortilla right on the grill and heat for about 15-20 seconds, take it off and load all of your fillings to build a wrap - I like to add some bacon, chopped lettuce and spinach, a diced mix of tomato, green pepper and green onion, some shredded cheese and a little ranch dressing.

Served with fries and a side of the leftover warmed sauce to dip them in :D

img0445v.jpg

img0446x.jpg